Music Licensing, Manager
HBONew York, NY
Part Time Job
Music Licensing, Manager (Temporary)
Home Box Office Inc. seeks a Mgr Music Licensing -NS for the HBO General Inc. - Bus Affairs - Production - East. The Mgr Music Licensing -NS is responsible for music clearance and synchronization licensing for promotional campaigns and trailers for all forms of HBO programming including upcoming and catalogue, original and licensed programming as well as social media activations and interstitial programming.
• Evaluate and translate music rights, scope of work and terms needed for individual project promotional campaigns and marketing trailers with content producers and directors for HBO, HBO Max and WarnerMedia as needed.
• Research music rights holders and advise on best practices for licensing. Prepare and submit quote request letters to the rights holders. Negotiate underlying music rights clearances and fees with record labels, music publishers, managers and artists.
• Provide creative solutions and alternate song suggestions when possible to fulfill budget, time-sensitive and/or the creative needs within the parameters of the project.
• Negotiate work-for-hire agreements for the creation of custom music with production music companies and composers.
• Maintain relationships with music rights holders, music libraries and trailer houses to ensure a clear and accurate flow of communication.
• Utilize deep music licensing industry connections and contacts to provide quick analysis of song titles, to identify rights holders and to negotiate preferred rates and terms.
• Review clips and footage to identify music and evaluate existing clearances within programming clips.
• Negotiate, review and draft short and long form sync and master license agreements, production music, work-for-hire and composer agreements for the entire process from creation to execution.
• Maintain music licensing databases. Track and enter individual project details along with composer, music publisher and PRO details for all licensed song titles.
• Vet existing projects to determine and ensure all music contained in a program has been properly identified and licensed.
• Review, interpret and organize extensive trailer house music cue sheets and facilitate communication with music partners.
• Communicate clearly with department, internal and external team members regarding project updates and sharing of ideas for everyone's benefit.
• Navigate, trouble shoot, anticipate possible music issues. Manage expectations, deadlines and budgets for projects with a pro-active approach.
• Advise Business Affairs executives/negotiators/legal and production executives on status of underlying music rights deliverables.
• Request and process invoices and vendor paperwork for music licenses. Ensure proper payment has been processed to music licensors and respond to questions regarding any payment issues.
• Advise creative services on limitations of underlying rights in connection with promotion for a program, including clearing additional in-context or out of context promotional music rights.
• Liase with outside producers and provide guidance to them to ensure that music clearances are in compliance with business affairs/legal, financial and administrative requirements. Liaise with internal and/or external parties with respect to any inquiries related to any licensing and payment matters.
• Maintain a detailed record of clearances and attend regular meetings/conference calls to keep HBO executives informed about the status of the requested music and projects.
• Must have a minimum of 5 years' experience in the television/music/entertainment field in a music licensing capacity, with extensive experience in negotiations and agreements, and it's a plus if specifically in the area of music for marketing promos and/or trailers.
• Applicant must have strong communication and organizational skills and have the ability to multi-task and organize heavy project flow under tight deadlines.