Staff Engineer 2, Player Experience - HBO Max
HBO MaxSeattle, WA
Full Time Job
Staff Engineer 2, Player Experience (AVOD) - HBO Max
We want to share WarnerMedia's amazing stories with as many customers as possible. To do so, we are building ad-supported products to complement our premiere subscription product, HBO Max. We're exploring both traditional and innovative ad presentations to share sponsor's messages. The new product will be deployed across mobile, desktop, and connected devices, with as broad a reach as possible.
As a software engineer on WarnerMedia's AVOD team, you will build and support full-stack components for our streaming video applications. You will own the entire video advertising user experience, including core player interface, beaconing, and integrated ad content. You'll also lead behind the scenes efforts to improve quality of experience via telemetry and data analysis, and guide our overall platform by spreading architectural improvements throughout the organization.
• Join a growing team with many opportunities for you to expand your professional and technical skills.
• Influence the technical and UX agenda for our new ad-supported video products.
• Work across teams and disciplines to explore technical solutions and evaluate technical tradeoffs, using the latest streaming media technologies and video capabilities.
• Improve your team's development, test, and operations practices.
• Mentor other engineers to help them grow their careers.
• Have a deep understanding of Computer Science fundamentals, including algorithms, data structures, and operating systems.
• Have hands-on experience developing and maintaining modern user interfaces on one or more platforms (web, mobile, TV).
• Be a self-starter that can independently solve complex engineering problems.
• Maintain high quality coding standards for yourself and your team.
• Design and deliver components of a complex architecture or distributed system.
• Be passionate about software engineering with a strong sense of ownership for the code that you and your team write, and desire to become an expert in video advertising technology.
• Seek self-improvement and adapt to suggestions and feedback.
• Hold yourself and your team to high standards while maintaining respectful relationships.
• Provide periodic on-call support for critical emergent customer-facing issues
The Nice to Haves
• 5 years in software engineering on shipped consumer products or platforms.
• Experience with video applications, especially streaming video.
• Experience with advertising integration technologies (VAST, VPAID, VMAP, MRAID, OpenMedia, …).
• DevOps, where you've owned and operated the systems you've developed.
• Hands-on use of TypeScript 3 / ECMAScript 6 and modern device platforms (e.g. Android, iOS).
• Fluency in multiple modern programming languages.
• Exclusive WarnerMedia events and advance screenings
• Paid time off every year to volunteer
• Access to well-being tools, resources, and freebies
• Access to in-house learning and development resources
• Part of the WarnerMedia family of powerhouse brands
WarnerMedia is a leading media and entertainment company that creates and distributes premium and popular content from a diverse array of talented storytellers and journalists to global audiences through its consumer brands including: HBO, HBO Now, HBO Max, Warner Bros., TNT, TBS, truTV, CNN, DC Entertainment, New Line, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Turner Classic Movies and others.
Warner Media, LLC and its subsidiaries are equal opportunity employers. Qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status or any other category protected by law.