Staff Engineer, Core Media
HBO MaxSeattle, WA
Full Time Job
As a Software Engineer on WarnerMedia's Core Media Engine team, you will build and support client-side components for our streaming video applications including the upcoming HBO Max service. You will own client-side video from the network to glass, including video profile selection, digital rights management and licensing, rendering, telemetry and on-the-fly stream optimization. You will interface with the appropriate low-level systems on each platform to build the best possible streaming experience for our customers. You will join a growing team with many opportunities to expand your skillset, including your ability to design, implement and own critical features in a product used by millions of customers. You will have access to experienced engineers as mentors and technical resources.
• Work with the latest streaming media technologies and video capabilities
• Learn to evaluate multiple technical approaches and drive consensus with peers
• Use data to solve real world problems and improve customer experience, including prioritization of incoming issues reported by customers, partners, and internal QA
• A strong understanding of Computer Science fundamentals, including algorithms, data structures, and operating systems
• Fluency in a modern programming language, ideally Java, Swift, or TypeScript
• Be a quick learner that can leverage surrounding resources to solve problems
• Experience with streaming video delivery or playback
• Passion for software engineering with a strong sense of ownership for the code that you and your team write, and a desire to become an expert in client-side video technology
• Seek self-improvement and adapt to suggestions and feedback
• Hold yourself and your team to high standards while maintaining respectful relationships
• Ability to provide periodic on-call support for critical emergent customer-facing issues
• Bachelor's degree in an engineering or science-related discipline or 2 years of experience in software engineering on shipped consumer products or platforms
• DevOps experience, where you've owned and operated the systems you've developed
• Full-stack industry experience, or hands-on familiarity with both client and server technology
The Nice to Haves
• Media technology (e.g. ExoPlayer, AVFoundation, HTML5 video)
• Streaming technology (e.g. DASH, HLS)
• DRM systems (e.g. FairPlay, Widevine)
• Device platforms (e.g. Android, iOS, tvOS)
• User experience telemetry
• Exclusive WarnerMedia events and advance screenings
• Paid time off every year to volunteer
• Access to well-being tools, resources, and freebies
• Access to in-house learning and development resources
• Part of the WarnerMedia family of powerhouse brands
WarnerMedia is a leading media and entertainment company that creates and distributes premium and popular content from a diverse array of talented storytellers and journalists to global audiences through its consumer brands including: HBO, HBO Now, HBO Max, Warner Bros., TNT, TBS, truTV, CNN, DC Entertainment, New Line, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Turner Classic Movies and others.
Warner Media, LLC and its subsidiaries are equal opportunity employers. Qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status or any other category protected by law.
We power the most critical HBO Max user experience - watching video - across all mobile, desktop, and connected devices. The Core Media Engine bridges the gap between cross-platform UI and platform-specific video playback. The next generation of our Core Media Engine will go deeper with platform-optimized video streaming, buffering, and rendering, using state of the art techniques to provide the best possible video quality.