Sr Manager, Research - Hbomax
HBO MaxBurbank, CA
Full Time Job
Location: United States - California - Burbank
WarnerMedia is a leading media and entertainment company that creates and distributes premium and popular content from a diverse array of talented storytellers and journalists to global audiences through its consumer brands including: HBO, HBO Max, Warner Bros., TNT, TBS, truTV, CNN, DC Entertainment, New Line, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Turner Classic Movies and others.
HBO Max is where storytelling takes center stage and where creatives find a home with the support and resources to do their best work, no matter the genre or format. Whatever the viewer wants to watch is front and center and more of what they crave is easily discovered. It is where our exclusive HBO Max Originals and iconic entertainment brands thrive, with HBO, Warner Bros., DC, Turner Classic Movies, Cartoon Network and more delivering the greatest array of series, movies and specials for audiences of all ages. HBO Max launched in the US in May 2020 and is scheduled to be in an additional 60 markets this year, launching in Latin America in June and followed by upgrades of HBO-branded streaming services in Europe.
The HBO Max Research team aims to be trusted partners for our business through a lens that is unbiased and unfiltered. We objectively translate consumer voices to help strategic business objectives and make decisions.
The team is looking for a Senior Manager, Research who will develop, design and implement research to shape marketing campaigns and drive marketing effectiveness. You will help develop a framework and conduct research to pre-test advertising creatives and track in-market performance of the ads over time on a consistent, systematic basis. You will optimize ads, establish benchmarks, and create best practices to inform future creative development. You will work closely with Marketing, Media and Analytics teams and external creative and media agencies to inform marketing strategy for our priority segments that drives lifts in brand, content and growth marketing KPIs and ensure we are executing marketing campaigns that drive maximum ROI. This person will report to the VP, HBO Max research.
We're looking for a person who is passionate about advertising and experienced with ad pre-testing and tracking. We want someone who is a strategic thinker, detail oriented and is skilled at connecting the dots to bring a holistic perspective to the business. The ideal person is a nimble, go-getter who enjoys collaborating with partners and is a strong storyteller.
• Work cross functionally with internal/external stakeholders to understand needs and challenges.
• Build and establish client relationships. Be an advisor.
• Work closely with the Director of Brand Research to connect learnings from upstream research (eg. concept test, creative refinement) with advertising insights.
• Oversee all stages including design, fieldwork, analysis and interpretation of quantitative research studies.
• Develop and execute a framework for pre-testing advertising creatives and tracking ad performance over time.
• Be the in-house research expert on all things related to creative optimization and lead any ad hoc analyses on an as needed basis
• Connect creative performance to media activation and diagnose/develop hypotheses on what might be driving dips in performance. Work with analytics to set up AB experiments as needed.
• Synthesize findings across multiple research and data sources (1st party, 3rd party) to deliver holistic insights to the business
• Collaborate with research vendors while ensuring adherence to best practices, timelines, and deliverables
• There may be some travel required.
• 7 years of research experience testing and measuring ad effectiveness
• Experience at a Direct-to-Consumer/SVOD/AVOD business or research company working on a Direct-to-Consumer/SVOD/AVOD business preferred
• Must have experience on the supplier side
• Attention to detail, accuracy and strong organizational skills
• Solid understanding of full funnel marketing and media principles
• Experience working with Marketing, Media and Analytic teams. Must have a strong understanding of attribution models, experimentation frameworks and measuring incrementality.
• Ability to effectively influence and communicate cross-functionally with all levels; exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
• Analytical problem-solving skills, including the ability to break down data/information into meaningful findings and developing recommendations that lead to informed decision-making.
• Ability to use a data-driven approach to problem solving and scaling.
• Strong aptitude for building effective relationships in a fast-paced, constantly changing environment.
• Strong client-management skills; ability to adapt to a variety of individual styles and approaches in order to deliver the appropriate insights and support each requires.
• Proficient in programming and data analysis softwares (e.g. Qualtrics, SPSS, Q Research)
• Proficient in Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint
• A passion for television shows and movies
• Bachelor's Degree required
Nice to Haves
• Statistical experience
• Graduate degree
• Exclusive WarnerMedia events and advance screenings
• Paid time off every year to volunteer for eligible employees
• Access to well-being tools, resources, and freebies
• Access to in-house learning and development resources
• Part of the WarnerMedia family of powerhouse brands
Warner Media, LLC and its subsidiaries are equal opportunity employers. Qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status or any other category protected by law.