Manager, UX Research
HBO MaxSeattle, WA
Full Time Job
Manager, (Lead) UX Research, Kids & Family
UX Research is an essential part of the HBO Max product design process ensuring the viewer experience is as rewarding and user-friendly as it is entertaining. As a Manager and Lead UX Researcher for Kids & Family, you will work closely with the Kids & Family team to develop and manage a research program and roadmap to equip the product design with high impact research from early stage exploratory UX research to later stage usability testing for feature launch. Focus areas span all of HBO Max, but for kids! This includes, but is not limited to; a kids personalized experience, kids profiles and aging-up, content discovery and search, player experience, and the parent experience. The Manager is a member of the UX Research team and collaborates with peers to inform overall research priorities, establish best practices, develop operational processes, provide coaching managing and training to team members.
• Create and manage a research program for Kids & Family and bring a user-centered design approach to the strategy and design for the best in class kid-first explore and play experience.
• Collaborate with designers, project managers, and engineers to identify research roadmap activities to support product feature releases and future concepts for exploration.
• Lead team innovation sprints and incorporate user centered design activities throughout the product design process.
• Plan and conduct all research including, project scoping, scheduling, budgeting, staffing, recruiting, legal logistics, technical logistics, study moderation, data analysis, reporting, and team communication.
• Conduct feature prioritization and benchmarking studies to identify user needs and evaluate success of HBO Max.
• Plan and conduct research within an Agile framework including, project scoping, scheduling, budgeting, staffing, recruiting, legal logistics, technical logistics, study moderation, data analysis, reporting, and team communication. Depending on the scope and complexity of research, you may plan and execute studies as a sole researcher or you may lead and manage a small team to perform the work.
• Depending on the scope and complexity of research, you may plan and execute studies as a sole researcher or you may lead and manage a small team to perform the work.
• Initiate and oversee the execution of each research effort. Work with a cross-functional team to prioritize areas of focus for research.
• Consult on human factors, UCD best practices, and recommend research activities.
• Manage, supervise, and support junior to senior UX Researchers.
• Vet, hire, and manage outside vendors as needed to support the work.
• Help grow the UXR team's expertise, explore new ways to discover user insights, acquire new tools and resources for the lab, and help teams understand and apply best practices.
• Seasoned experience designing kid-focused age approrpriate research studies for kids and their parents.
• Experience testing TV consoles and remotes, gaming consoles and remotes, phone, tablet, desktop, and voice.
• 5 years experience as a Lead or Senior UX. Researcher, with more than 8 years working in UX research
• Graduate degree in Engineering Human Factors, Human-Computer Interaction, Psychology,Computer Science, Cognitive Science, or a closely related field.
• Experience working on interdisciplinary product development teams with large stakeholder groups
• 2 or more years managing junior, mid, or senior level UX researchers
• Project scoping, budgeting, scheduling and resource management of multiple simultaneous user research efforts.
• Expert in experimental design for qualitative research, user-centered design methodology, data analysis, and reporting and communicating results.
• Expert in study session moderation/facilitation for in-depth-interviews, cognitive walkthroughs, usability studies, and contextual inquiry.
• Strong command of a broad set of qualitative and quantitative user research methods with the ability to discern and recommend the right method(s) for a project.
• Demonstrated ability to define and implement Agile UX research practices.
• Strong client-management skills; ability to adapt to a variety of individual styles and approaches in order to deliver the appropriate insights and support each requires