Manager, UX Research
HBO MaxBurbank, CA
Full Time Job
Manager, (Lead) UX Research, Profiles & Personalization
UX Research is an essential part of the HBO Max product design process ensuring the viewer experience is as rewarding and user-friendly as it is entertaining. As a Manager, UX Researcher for Profiles & Personalization, you will develop and manage a research program for product onboarding, profiles, and personalization workstreams equipping product design teams with high impact research from early stage exploratory UX research to later stage usability testing for feature launch. The focus for this role includes, but is not limited to service design, buy flows, accounts, settings, and personalized features across all devices and platforms. This role collaborates heavily with partner teams like growth marketing, customer support, and accessibility advocacy. The Manager is responsible for the design and delivery of highly impactful, robust, and inclusive research practices and the generation of insights which serve our viewers and promote listening to diverse perspectives among our teams. The Manager is a member of the UX Research team and collaborates with peers to inform overall research priorities, establish best practices, develop operational processes, provide coaching managing and training to team members.
• Create and manage a research program for Profiles & Personalization and bring a user-centered design approach to the strategy and design for a personalized experience of HBO Max.
• Collaborate with designers, project managers, and engineers to identify research roadmap activities to support product feature releases and future concepts for exploration.
• Lead team innovation sprints and incorporate user centered design activities throughout the product design process.
• Plan and conduct all research including, project scoping, scheduling, budgeting, staffing, recruiting, legal logistics, technical logistics, study moderation, data analysis, reporting, and team communication.
• Conduct feature prioritization and benchmarking studies to identify user needs and evaluate success of HBO Max.
• Plan and conduct research within an Agile framework including, project scoping, scheduling, budgeting, staffing, recruiting, legal logistics, technical logistics, study moderation, data analysis, reporting, and team communication. Depending on the scope and complexity of research, you may plan and execute studies as a sole researcher or you may lead and manage a small team to perform the work.
• Depending on the scope and complexity of research, you may plan and execute studies as a sole researcher or you may lead and manage a small team to perform the work.
• Initiate and oversee the execution of each research effort. Work with a cross-functional team to prioritize areas of focus for research.
• Consult on human factors, UCD best practices, and recommend research activities.
• Manage, supervise, and support junior to senior UX Researchers.
• Vet, hire, and manage outside vendors as needed to support the work.
• Help grow the UXR team's expertise, explore new ways to discover user insights, acquire new tools and resources for the lab, and help teams understand and apply best practices.
• Experience working on consumer digital products and services that include account set up, buy-flows, plans, notifications, and personalization features.
• Experience testing TV consoles and remotes, gaming consoles and remotes, phone, tablet, desktop, and voice.
• Experience managing research projects and product testing in international markets.
• 5 years experience as a Lead or Senior UX. Researcher, with more than 8 years working in UX research
• Graduate degree in Engineering Human Factors, Human-Computer Interaction, Psychology,Computer Science, Cognitive Science, or a closely related field.
• Experience working on interdisciplinary product development teams with large stakeholder groups
• 2 or more years managing junior, mid, or senior level UX researchers
• Project scoping, budgeting, scheduling and resource management of multiple simultaneous user research efforts.
• Expert in experimental design for qualitative research, user-centered design methodology, data analysis, and reporting and communicating results.
• Expert in study session moderation/facilitation for in-depth-interviews, cognitive walkthroughs, usability studies, and contextual inquiry.
• Strong command of a broad set of qualitative and quantitative user research methods with the ability to discern and recommend the right method(s) for a project.
• Demonstrated ability to define and implement Agile UX research practices.
• Strong client-management skills; ability to adapt to a variety of individual styles and approaches in order to deliver the appropriate insights and support each requires