Ticker Copy Editor
FoxLos Angeles, CA
FOX Sports is seeking Ticker Copy Editors on a freelance basis who will be responsible for writing and editing headlines as well as updating content for FS1, FS2 and FOX Broadcasting Company (FBC). While working on the network's various Tickers, the employee will be responsible for monitoring daily scores and news across the entire sports landscape in order to produce alerts, results and other game-related information that will appear on FS1, FS2 and FBC. Candidates should not only have a deep interest in all sports and a wide breadth of knowledge to inform their news judgment, but they also should know how to prioritize deadlines amid a number of day-to-day tasks. The successful candidate will be able to make good decisions quickly while proving that they're meticulous copy editors and fact checkers.
A SNAPSHOT OF YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES
• Newsgathering, fact-checking, headline writing and copy editing under intense minute-by-minute deadline conditions
• Monitoring the sports calendar and live events so that the Ticker always presents timely news, scores and relevant information to viewers
• Ensuring all content in the Ticker is well-researched, logically structured, grammatically correct and follows the department's editorial style
• Checking headlines and text before publishing for any potential legal issues, such as libelous statements or breach of copyright
• Writing and enabling alerts for breaking news, network programming changes and other significant sports updates
• Manage and schedule promotional graphics to appear in the Ticker at designated times throughout the day and week
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
• 2-4 years of editorial experience required, preferably in the online or TV medium
• Excellent communication (written and verbal) and organizational skills
• Familiar working with Content Management Systems (CMS) and online publishing tools
• Strong computer skills (Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook)
• Must be well-versed using social media, internet and other internal sources (i.e. AP sports wire) for newsgathering and research purposes
• Strong critical thinking, news judgment, decision-making, planning, detail orientation and a sense of urgency are essential
• Proven sports knowledge
• Must be willing to work nights, weekends and holidays as needed
NICE TO HAVE, BUT NOT A DEALBREAKER
• BS/BA in Journalism, Communications, English or other related degree strongly preferred
• Candidates living in the greater Los Angeles area are preferred, but remote candidates will be considered
Pursuant to state and local pay disclosure requirements, the pay range for this role, with final offer amount dependent on education, skills, experience, and location is: $25.00-30.00 per hour. We provide Freelancers medical/dental/vision insurance and 401k after they meet eligibility criteria and any State required time-off, in accordance with applicable plan documents. Benefits for Union represented employees will be in accordance with the applicable collective bargaining agreement.
At FOX, we foster a culture and environment where everyone feels welcome and can thrive. We are deeply committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, including attracting, retaining, and promoting diverse talent across our company. We live in a diverse world, with different ideas and different perspectives that come together to spark new ideas and make great things happen. That means reflecting the diversity of the world around us is critical to our company's success. We ensure that our viewers, communities and employees feel heard, represented, and celebrated both on screen and off.
Click here to learn more about the diverse communities of people behind our brands.
Pursuant to state and local pay disclosure requirements,
OVERVIEW OF THE COMPANYFox Sports
FOX Sports, the industry leader in live events, is the umbrella entity representing Fox Corporation's wide array of multi-platform US-based sports assets. Built with brands capable of reaching more than 100 million viewers in a single weekend, FOX Sports includes the sports television arm of the FOX Network; FS1, FS2, FOX Soccer Plus and FOX Deportes, as well as a joint-venture business in the Big Ten Network and digital properties including http://FOXSports.com and the FOX Sports App. FOX Sports has delivered the most watched television program, NFL's America's Game of the Week on FOX, for fourteen consecutive years.