Associate Director, PR / Communications
Fox SportsAtlanta, GA
Full Time Job
FOX Sports South is seeking a seasoned, dynamic communications professional to drive the public relations strategy for the FOX Sports regional networks serving the Southeast: FOX Sports South, FOX Sports Southeast, FOX Sports Tennessee, and FOX Sports Carolinas. Based in Atlanta, the four networks serve as the regional television home of the Atlanta Braves, Atlanta Hawks, Atlanta United, Atlanta Dream, Memphis Grizzlies, Nashville Predators, Carolina Hurricanes, Charlotte Hornets, and the ACC.
The primary focus of the Associate Director of Communications is to develop communications strategies that 1) leverage our content to garner earned media, 2) drive/contribute to the local and regional sports conversation, and 3) cultivate deep external relationships with both team partners and media outlets across the region. The position requires clear, concise and timely communication of network initiatives focused around live sports, original programming, team partnerships, ad sales, and community relations.
Reporting to the Director of Marketing and Communications and working closely with FOX Sports Media Group's corporate communications team, the Associate Director will also play an integral role in the brand positioning of the networks, leveraging media outlets to reinforce FOX Sports South as the connection between fans and their hometown teams. The incumbent primarily works in a professional office environment but will also need to be onsite at games and events as needed, often during nights and weekends. Some travel required.
• Evangelize and position FOX Sports South as the primary source for the local/regional sports community. Create strategic communications plans to connect with fans via relevant media, and build brand affinity for the FOX Sports South family of networks.
• Proactively manage the sports narrative across the region through by pitching media outlets to arrange interviews, talent appearances, and other media exposure for the brand.
• Proactively manage ''traditional'' media relations practices and tactics for key events and initiatives across the sports season, including: developing and distributing AP style press releases; serving as a communications liaison with trade and consumer media outlets, team partners and fans; proactively pursuing local and regional media mentions for the networks; drafting speaking points and media statements as required; responding to/direct media inquiries as appropriate and in a timely fashion; researching and proposing new public relations and promotions concepts; and managing additional media or public relations functions as requested
• Develop strategies to tap into popular blogs, fan forums, and message boards to leverage these assets as vehicles to reach fans.
• Ensure that PR materials, boilerplates, network ratings and contact information are current and updated on a consistent basis.
• Bachelor's degree required plus a minimum of 6-8 years of professional experience working in communication/PR roles.
• Knowledge and/or experience in live sports, news and/or agency environment strongly preferred.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills required.
• Demonstrated ability to create and write press materials.
• Solid rapport with local/regional media and an existing database of related contacts strongly preferred.
• Ability to serve as a brand ambassador and represent the networks in a professional manner at all times
• Dynamic personality with proven ability to develop and maintain successful internal and external business relationships.
• Strong sensibilities to create the right PR messages - and how to craft the right story to convey that message.
• Complementary blend of both traditional and digital media expertise, with the ability to exercise either or both as needed when targeting consumer-facing and/or trade media
• Deep understanding of the power of communication through public relations and be comfortable with evangelizing FOX Sports to a wide range of constituents, including fans, media, bloggers, and team partners.
• Excellent organizational and project management skills as well as ability to multitask and work in a live, fast-paced environment.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable law.
OVERVIEW OF THE COMPANY
Fox Sports Networks
FOX Sports is the umbrella entity representing 21st Century FOX's wide array of multi-platform US-based sports assets. Built with brands capable of reaching more than 100 million viewers in a single weekend, FOX Sports includes ownership and interests in linear television networks, digital and mobile programming, broadband platforms, multiple web sites, joint-venture businesses and several licensing partnerships. FOX Sports includes the sports television arm of the FOX Broadcasting Company; FS1, FS2; FOX Sports Regional Networks, their affiliated regional web sites and national programming; FOX Soccer Plus; FOX Deportes and FOX College Sports. In addition, FOX Sports also encompasses FOX Sports Digital, which includes FOXSports.com, FOX Sports GO, Whatifsports.com and Yardbarker.com. Also included in the Group are FOX's interests in joint-venture businesses Big Ten Network and BTN 2Go, as well as a licensing agreement that established the FOX Sports Radio Network.