Fox News ChannelWashington, DC
Fox News is looking for an organized, motivated, curious individual with strong logistical and editorial skills to join our assignment desk team in the Washington D.C Bureau. The Freelance Assignment Editor works with a team of people to coordinate daily news coverage, which includes moving crews, adjusting to cover breaking news and responding to cover a consistent flow of events at the Capitol, White House, Pentagon, State Department and other venues in DC. The Freelance Assignment Editor would also be relied on to assist the Satellite Desk with the studio booking and line trafficking for the day to day needs of the newsroom. The Assignment Editor also prioritizes incoming editorial & logistical information and ensures it is clearly communicated to those who need it. Aggressively seeking out additional information and pitching stories is critical to success in this position. A natural curiosity of news is a must.
A SNAPSHOT OF YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES
• Assign, move and adjust crew coverage to keep the network competitive at all times.
• Book studios and fibers for daily events and guests
• Work with beat producers in planning and adjusting coverage as news breaks.
• Monitor wires, social media and other broadcast networks for news developments.
• Reach out to agencies, government departments and fox personnel to gather and confirm information.
• Draft and distribute information to field, show and network personnel.
• Organize and develop creative plans to maximize limited resources.
• Coordinate with field, technical and satellite desk personnel to make sure incoming feeds between DC and NY are prioritized to provide the most competitive coverage.
• Train and work on satellite desk when needed.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
• Bachelor's degree and 5 years of experience in a local or national newsroom.
• Knowledge of the DC area a plus.
• Strong logistical and editorial skills with knowledge of national and international politics.
• Familiarity with the various D.C. government agencies.
• Keen understanding of how to gather news LIVE in the Washington, D.C. area and familiarity with satellite trucks, Live U technology, AVOC and various fiber drops.
• Knowledge of network pool operations at the desk level with an emphasis on understanding the unilateral benefit.
• Be a self-starter who can work independently, as well as a team player
• Ability to work in a fast paced environment, multitask, and prioritize on a daily basis, and especially in breaking news situations
• Familiarity with iNews, Outlook and ScheduAll a plus.
OVERVIEW OF THE COMPANY
Fox News Channel
FOX News Channel is a 24-hour all-encompassing news service delivering breaking news as well as political and business news. FOX News finished 2018 as the most-watched basic cable network for the third consecutive year in both primetime and total day among total viewers, and has held its number one national cable news channel status for 68 consecutive quarters. FNC is available in nearly 90 million homes and dominates the cable news landscape, routinely notching the top ten programs in the genre.