Estrella MediaDallas, TX
Don't worry we have a lot of jobs on the site like this one;
Browse all jobs
Browse the Broadcast News Category
Browse the Crew Category
Browse the TV Station Category
Search for News Director jobs in Dallas-TX
Search all News Director postings
Are you an employer?
How do I hire a News Director? News Director
We are Estrella Media, Inc., the largest privately-held, minority-owned Spanish-language broadcaster in the United States, which owns TV and radio stations operating in top Hispanic markets throughout the country and is the parent company of the Estrella TV Network, one of the fastest growing television networks in the U.S. We are currently looking for talented and passionate people who want to grow with us.
Estrella Media is looking for a take-charge News Director to lead the Dallas, Houston and Miami local newscasts out of our studios in Dallas. The News Director position is one most critical position in the station. As the day to day manager of the news operations, this person must understand, embrace and implement the long- and short-term strategies of the station. The News Director will be responsible for creating and delivering content that delivers the highest available audience and generates the highest ratings possible. This position will manage departmental expense budgets to control operating costs; find creative ways to keep newsroom employees motivated and engaged, manage news employee retention and recruitment. This person should have a network in the industry to identify up and coming news talent. In addition, the News Director will be the primary point of contact in the newsroom, demonstrate fairness and consistency in all interactions and be a solid team player with other department heads. The ideal candidate must have skills to supervise three producers, talent and develop content. The News Director must have the ability to identify problems and offer solutions under limited direct supervision. Must be a leader, facilitating teamwork of a medium to large staff members. Candidate will report directly to VP of News.
• Provide leadership, vision, and management to the news department.
• Work with Executive Management and other departments to asses and respond to news department needs.
• Provide hands-on, day-to-day supervision in every aspect of news operation up to and including; producer responsibilities of news programs, content review and evaluation, delegation of work assignments for all news personnel, as well as day-to-day assistance to news producers and staff.
• Recruiting, hiring, coaching, training and attendance and labor tracking oversight for all news personnel.
• To develop and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external staff and support personnel.
• To ensure the continual functioning of newsroom critical operations.
• Serve as primary contact with outside vendors that provide services to the news department.
• Bachelor's degree in journalism preferred and/or a minimum of 10 years management/leadership experience in a news department setting in a medium or large Hispanic US Media Market.
• Strong supervisory and logical problem-solving skills.
• Experience and working knowledge of technical and production equipment, including Avid editing systems, digital news processing systems, and electronic field news gathering equipment.
• Excellent organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills.
• Excellent technical, journalistic and leadership skills. A team player with a positive attitude and a focus on business and community issues with the ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure in preparing 3 or more ''live'' newscast.
• Experience thinking critically about organization, production and workflow, and identifying needs for development.
• Must have previous experience managing news teams, working with iNews, and Assignment Desk
• Must be able to work efficiently under pressure.
• Must be highly motivated, aggressive and results oriented.
• Attention to detail, organized and thorough, with desire for continuous improvement.
• Strong proficiency in all Microsoft Office products.
• Must be willing to work in Dallas, Texas.
• Must be willing to work long hours, holidays and weekends on short notice.
• Must be willing to undergo a pre-employment background investigation
• Must have legal authorization to work in the United States
• Must possess valid driver's license and a good driving record.
• Must be 18 years or older
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
Estrella Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer.