Transmission Systems Technician I
Full Time Job
The Transmission Systems Technician I is a public representative of Media Engineering and of ESPN through routine communication and coordination with other departments, fiber providers, technology vendors and affiliates. This position is responsible for acquiring and transporting distribution and contribution based content globally. A technician is responsible for the quality control, security, and continuity of ESPN's Networks and business initiatives with an emphasis on the following technologies: RF, fiber, compression, video, audio, and IP. Performance must be accurate, timely, and with a professional demeanor befitting this role. Work must be carried out with a minimum of supervision.
• Provides support for ESPN's Global Fiber Optic Partners for both optical and compression technologies
• Diagnoses and determines corrective action for first tier technical problems, and refers more complex problems to appropriate departments and more senior engineers and managers for resolution.
• Monitors distribution compression systems to ensure content distribution, coordination and quality of optical transport technology meets ESPN's standards.
• Conducts routine routing, switch and control activities necessary to ensure broadcasts operate according to specification.
• Operates test equipment to monitor Transport applications and identify problems.
• Works daily with 3rd party fiber providers on RFOs and maintenance notifications
• Provision Ethernet and Video services globally over ESPN's private fiber network ESPNet
• Process Video, Audio, and Data signals for use in ESPN production facilities including video level and color adjustment, audio shuffling and level adjustment, lip-sync and video timing.
• Regularly interact and maintain positive relationships with departments throughout ESPN.
• Regularly represents ESPN to partners and Affiliates throughout the world as a first level technician.
• Regularly interacts with remote and ESPN freelance representatives to turn-up new fiber optic links for major events
• Support 3rd party fiber provider's connectivity into ESPN
• Coordinate, execute, and communicate replacement of failed equipment globally
• Responsible for communication, resolution and follow-up of daily operational issues with internal and external partners.
• 0-2 years of Broadcast or Fiber Optic Industry Operational experience
• Availability to work in a 24 x 7 environment including weekends and holidays.
• Excellent communication, organization, problem solving and computer skills
• Basic knowledge of various fiber optic standards and transport delivery methods, including SONET, SDH, DWDM, CWDM, LAN Phy and WAN Phy technologies
• Basic knowledge of MPEG 2 Transport stream technologies and standards.
• Basic knowledge of MPEG and JPEG compression hardware, software, and standards
• Demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks in a deadline-oriented live television environment.
• Basic knowledge of IP protocols such as BGP, IGMPv2 & 3, TCP/IP, SNMP, SSL, HTTPS, and DNS
• Has fundamental knowledge of LAN and WAN IP related equipment
• Understanding of Distribution DPI Technologies (SCTE 104 / SCTE 35).
• Ability to work within a high-pressure deadline oriented team environment
• Fundamental knowledge of Internet and CDN contribution and distribution technologies
• High School Diploma or equivalent technical school graduate
• Bachelor's degree in Engineering or Computer Science or a minimum of 2 years' experience in broadcast or fiber optic industry technologies.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ESPN, Inc, which is part of a business segment we call ESPN.
ESPN, Inc is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.