Statistics Analyst I
Part Time Job
Part-Time Statistics Analyst I
Sports Data Analyst is a part-time role on the Stats & Analysis team within ESPN's Stats & Information Group. Scores and stats on virtually all ESPN platforms – a TV graphic, the BottomLine, ESPN.com, Fantasy, GameCast – are produced or maintained by the Stats & Analysis team. Sports Data Analyst Is ensure the accuracy of this data (scores, schedules, standings, rosters, etc.) on ESPN platforms worldwide. They work with automated data feeds and use manual data entry to ensure the delivery of accurate, timely, and insightful sports data.
Sports Data Analysts also are responsible for helping turn stats into story lines. They must be able to recognize statistical events that help explain why a team won or lost. Those candidates with specialized training, skills, and knowledge – such as in advanced mathematics, economics , databases, SQL programming, etc. -- can use their skills in support of Stats & Information projects and story-telling.
• Ensure sports data distributed by Stats & Information is accurate, timely, and insightful.
• Work in individual settings and in groups to deliver accurate play-by-play, clock-and-score, and other statistics and data in real time that power a multitude of ESPN products and productions..
• Develop and maintain a working knowledge of Stats & Information's role in powering ESPN digital products and TV productions.
• Verify the results of one's own work and that of others; perform with a consistently high attention to detail.
• Contribute to production, projects, and initiatives across the newsroom, and assist newsroom leaders who are directing full- and part-time staff.
• Anticipate potential problems, both nightly and long-term, and offer potential solutions. Communicate quickly and decisively with colleagues on these issues.
• Take a proactive role in working with colleagues in developing or refining production processes.
• Be an active participant in team and department meetings.
• Seek and respond to feedback around personal performance.
• Stay informed of current department policies and procedures.
• Ability to work nights, weekends, and holidays
• Working knowledge of teams, players, and the rules of the games.
• Full schedule availability, which will include nights (almost exclusively), weekends, and holidays.
• Capability to quickly learn production processes that produce and/or maintain sports data that powers ESPN's digital and TV products.
• Capability to achieve a high degree of content accuracy in time-sensitive production situations.Capability to communicate assertively – verbally and in writing – to production supervisors and peers about production issues and opportunities, often through the din of a busy newsroom.
• A minimum of 1 years' working in sports and/or statistics, preferably in media.
• Knowledge of how sports data is used in media and for research purposes.
• Working knowledge of ESPN products and productions.
• Experience with Microsoft Excel and other Office products
• Experience leading or coaching a team.
• Ability to speak and write Spanish
• Experience using social media in a business or news environment
• High School diploma or equivalent
• Bachelor's Degree or equivalent
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ESPN Productions, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call ESPN.
ESPN Productions, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.