Senior Director, Business Affairs
Full Time Job
The Senior Director, Business Affairs will be responsible for serving as the primary Business Affairs designee for the ESPN Content division on a wide range of deals and matters. There will be a focus on deals relating to the development, production and acquisition of original programming content across platforms, including for ESPN Storytelling, Films and ESPN . This role will also include similar responsibilities for deals and matters for ESPN's in-house creative agency ''Creative Works'', Digital Editorial, the Talent Office and other areas, as assigned. The role will work closely with the Senior Director, Content Business Strategy & Partnerships. The position will report to the Senior Vice President, Content Business Optimization and Strategy.
• The executive in this position will be expected to both support and negotiate deals from start to finish and evaluate, structure, negotiate and implement deals in a senior capacity; this person must work closely with senior executives within ESPN and will be expected to serve as the primary Content Business Affairs contact across TWDC.
• Serve as the primary Business Affairs designee on all deals related to the ancillary, off-channel exploitation of ESPN Storytelling content (e.g., DVD distribution deals, digital distribution deals, etc.).
• Manage the business aspects of assigned productions from development through distribution.
• Implement and oversee best practices with respect to the acquisition of ESPN content; update key business terms across ESPN Content to best position for future.
• Advise and support senior executives and other management personnel on key business issues and rights matters.
• Provide leadership, development and growth opportunities for a team of three (3) Directors.
• Lead the team responsible for setting the strategy, negotiating, reporting and forecasting ESPN Content's footage licensing both to support ESPN original content initiatives and manage and negotiate external requests for ESPN footage.
• Minimum ten (10) years of experience in Legal and/or Business Affairs within entertainment industry.
• Experience structuring, negotiating and implementing complex deals for productions, acquisitions, live events, talent contracts, and digital content agreements.
• Excellent communication, collaboration and leadership skills are a must.
• Strong working knowledge of production budgets and related issues (e.g., unions, insurance, music rights, talent).
• Superior analytical and writing skills and ability, together with strong business and financial acumen.
• Minimum of five (5) years of experience in Business Affairs in the media industry.
• Ability to strategize and think creatively; strong problem solving skills required.
• Exceptional organizational, prioritization and time management skills with the ability to execute against multiple, high-priority projects, with a keen attention to detail.
• Professional, confident demeanor and a team player.
• Ability to perform duties under minimal supervision while exercising discretion and independent, sound judgment.
• Must excel in a fast-paced, results–oriented work environment.
• Juris Doctor degree required
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ESPN Productions, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call ESPN.
ESPN Productions, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.