General Editor Deportes Digital
Full Time Job
The General Editor will be primarily responsible for editing and maintenance of ESPNDeportes.com's content feeds, including home and interior content landing pages. On a daily basis, this person will assess content from a variety of sources (includes wire services, partners, ESPN staffers, freelancers, plus interactive elements, social media, audio and video) to determine how it fits into our daily news coverage and programming needs. The editor evaluates all front page copy and headlines, provides feedback on all art and video, and works to package this content in a manner that is dynamic enough to entice users to delve deeper into the site. Must be an excellent headline writer and able to present and tell stories in a tight space. Must show good judgment in prioritizing all online content for a national audience. In the absence of a senior editor, the General Editor may be called upon to produce daily programming budgets incorporating the best content from the company's various platforms.
• The General Editor will assess multiple stories on a daily basis. These will include managing an overall style and voice.
• Along with the daily programming roles, the General Editor will be involved in short and long-term editorial planning, creating programming strategies specifically tailored to the content and audience consumption patterns.
• General Editors manage and track contributions from ESPN reporters.
• The General Editor will work across multiple content and delivery platforms to develop in-depth projects, feature packages, and daily content.
• A minimum of 5 years working in a high-level sports media environment
• Possess an expert-level knowledge of one or more of NFL, NBA, MLB, and Soccer, including fantasy and gambling areas. This includes not just on-field expertise, but a knowledge of the cutting-edge thoughts, trends and writers covering the sport.
• Understand and follow closely the latest in fan engagement data and key performance metrics to optimize content creation and distribution to fans.
• Strong understanding and appreciation of news and story play.
• Excellent headline writing skills and an understanding of search engine optimization.
• Work quickly and juggle multiple tasks during a typical workday.
• Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Bilingual (English and Spanish) – oral and written
• Experience in online media content preparation. Applicants must have the ability to work in a rapidly changing online environment and possess excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Sports takes place on nights, weekends and holidays -- and those shifts will be regular and required.
• Have a background or quickly become competent in HTML.
• Bachelor's Degree in communication arts, journalism or new media or equivalent combination of education experience.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ESPN Productions, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call ESPN.
ESPN Productions, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.