Acc Network - Event Director
Full Time Job
Acc Network - Event Director I
The Remote Director (ACC Event) will be responsible for line-directing live, on-air productions at remote sporting events. In addition, will work in conjunction with the Coordinating Producer and 15 school production teams to provide support and guidance on content philosophy and execution. During live event productions, the Remote Director will be responsible for executing the technical production of the telecast, following storylines and working with the Producer to document the sporting event. The following position will be part of ''The ACC Network'' and will be based in Charlotte, NC.
ACCN (ACC Network) is ESPN's newest multi-platform network launching August 2019. Showcasing 27 varsity sports from the Atlantic Coast Conference, ACCN will super-serve ACC fans like never before by shining a spotlight on the conference that's earned 471 national titles, its rivalries and traditions. In addition to football and basketball, ACCN will feature live games and extensive coverage of lacrosse, soccer, volleyball, softball, baseball and more along with ACC Championships. Original content and studio shows will provide fans inside access, analysis and storytelling all year long. ACC student-athletes, the universities, fans and ACCN employees alike are integral to building this network through innovation and excellence.
The Atlantic Coast Conference was established in 1953 and consists of 15 member institutions: Boston College, Clemson, Duke, Georgia Tech, Florida State, NC State, Syracuse, Louisville, Miami, North Carolina, Notre Dame (excluding football), Pittsburgh, Virginia, Virginia Tech, and Wake Forest. ESPN, Inc., The Worldwide Leader in Sports, is the leading multinational, multimedia sports entertainment company featuring the broadest portfolio of multimedia sports assets with over 50 business entities.
• Plans, directs and executes on-air productions of live remote sporting events, properly documenting assigned events.
• Oversees technical crew for the live event productions; providing direction, feedback and development.
• Works with college and university sport production departments to provide continuity and lend expertise to the school broadcast administration and student workforce.
• Works in conjunction with Producers and Coordinating Producers to determine creative and technical direction of live remote sporting events.
• Works in conjunction with Event Operations to determine technical facility and personnel needs for telecasts.
• Works with the Coordinating Producer on the ''School Production Project'' to plan the production roll out of the ACC Network (digital 2018, linear 2019).
• Develop and grow production standards for digital and linear event productions at each school creating uniformity in quality across the network.
• Provide instruction to schools regarding all television production roles.
• Wide range of event production experience, ranging from AP, AD, producer and director responsibilities, as well as a deep understanding of technical roles.
• Liaise with school production partners to provide timely feedback for school produced content.
• Visit ACC campuses to assess equipment compliments, discuss and recommend industry standard production techniques.
• Works with Sr. Managing Producer and Managing Producer to determine effective systems, workflow, and curriculum to support and educate the school production teams on live event productions for all ACC sanctioned sports.
• Makes the real-time decisions regarding what pictures and sounds will be broadcasted; interprets data and information to decide camera angles, features and sequences.
• Works with Producer and Operations team to determine camera placement at each venue; plans and executes the capture of desired shots, live-to-tape builds and sequences of shots.
• Works with engineering technicians for integration of all elements in a telecast including graphics, enhanced technology elements, switcher effects, composite music, etc.
• Directs the technical crews and remote employees assigned to events; conducts production and technical meetings to define crew responsibilities and outlines expectations for live remote events.
• Collaborates with Crewing department the best assign production technical crews for assigned live events; provides post-event feedback to the Event Operations team and Crewing department.
• Prepares for each game accordingly by conducting research on the teams, players, storylines, trends, etc.
• Provides instruction to on-air talent prior to telecasts and directs them, as required, during telecasts.
• Makes on-the-spot editorial adjustments to coverage patterns as unforeseen situations and opportunities arise.
• Troubleshoots, real-time, operational issues that arise during assigned live remote sporting events.
• In-depth live remote sporting event directing skills.
• Knowledge of the real-time live sporting event directing process.
• Ability to clearly and concisely communicate to all crew members during the live telecast.
• Knowledge of the technical equipment involved in directing live remote sporting events.
• Minimum 5 years of progressively complex live sporting event directing experience. Knowledge of college sports and college sports history with a concentration in the Atlantic Coast Conference
• Live directing experience in school production facilities.
• Knowledge of technology used in school production facilities.
• Understanding of the evolving technology landscape in the school production industry.
• Understanding of the financial implications of directing live remote sporting events.
• Appreciation of popular culture and assistance in defining ESPN viewer tastes.
• High School Diploma or equivalent.
• College degree or equivalent.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ESPN Productions, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call ESPN.
ESPN Productions, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.