VP of News Operations
Entravision CommunicationsLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
Entravision is the leading and most trusted local news content organization targeting spanish speaking hispanics in the US and is searching for a forward-looking VP of News Operations, Community Empowerment and Engagement, to drive brand, generate innovative ideas, and formulate strategies to future-proof Entravision's leadership position across its multiple media platforms.
We are looking for a team leader with the highest level of news judgment, journalistic integrity, and people management skills. The candidate must also be a community-centric content expert, who fully understands the integrated role of digital and non-linear distribution platforms while also nurturing the development of engaged communities and audience data & information.
The ideal candidate will supervise and coordinate Entravision's news operations, staff and all daily news activities in a manner that will produce quality and engaging content using all available resources in an efficient and cost-effective manner. He/she will recruit, onboard, manage, lead and motivate an experienced group of local news directors, editorial team and work closely with production, sales, engineering, audio, reporters, and digital staff. Qualified candidates must also demonstrate knowledge of current local, national, and international events.
1. Structure: Define and update the team structure, job descriptions and performance indicators of the news organization. Deliver an updated Org-Chat every quarter. Comply with the company's human resources hiring, recruiting, onboarding and personnel review system established by the Corporate Human Resources operation and IT protocols.
2. Content Operation; Define and document the editorial line and map out coverage strategies that are compatible with our station's image, goals and brand and advise our local markets news directors. Establish processes and protocols to develop differentiated content, create unique value added services, react to LIVE events, elections and critical social affairs and maintain cohesive quality across stations. Comply with the broadcasting policies, brand identity, logos and visual guidelines as established by the company.
Manage content alliances, fees, syndication and partnerships in order to reduce costs and expenses and enhance productivity.
3. Digital Operation; Define strategy and lead the operation that will lead to Entravision´s news presence on the web, earned-media and direct-to-audience communication.
4. Audience rating and engagement; To master online and offline audience metrics as frequent as available in order to maximize audience reach, understanding and engagement.
5. Budget and Planning; Develop a News operating budget (including personnel, 3rd party agencies, etc.) and keep expenses within guidelines under the proper timing and templates provided by the Financial Office.
6. Reporting; Provide a weekly and monthly business review report to the Chief Operating Officer, develop meeting minutes and follow up protocols while using company templates. To advise and update the operation department heads on news operations and issues as well as weekly manager meetings to ensure open communications within our organization
7. Promotions & Traffic. Plan and execute the internal promotion strategy and execution together with the sales marketing department and the Traffic team. Define and recommend the brand identity of the news operation to the COO.
8. Monetization. The position should establish, active and fruitful relationship with the Revenue Office in order to actively find ways to generate revenue, find synergies and increase the quality of our client first, audience first strategy.
This position reports to the Chief Operating Officer and works closely with Production, Engineering, Promotion, and News Directors. Cooperation with the Sales Department is important for commercial sales of all news content, innovative sponsorships, and special events.
The position bonus and will be based on a combination of the following KPIs
1. Digital and Linear Audience Growth: rating, unique visitors, video views, owned database (audience information)
2. Cost and expense budget management
3. Monetization goals of the news department
4. Project innovation and product differentiation.
Required Skills & Experience
1. Broadcast journalism degree from accredited four-year college/university or equivalent experience
2. Minimum ten years' experience in all facets of television news production, writing, editing, camera operations and reporting
3. Minimum five years' experience in a medium to large market directing a news department
4. Bilingual, Spanish and English, both written and oral
5. Possess excellent news judgment to lead our daily news coverage across all media platforms
6. Possess excellent leadership and team building skills
7. Ability to develop roadmap strategy
8. Ability to work in a high-pressure environment
9. Working knowledge of studio equipment, cameras teleprompter, lighting and audio
10. Strong ability to develop and maintain rapport with community
11. Bi-cultural experience and connections with 1st, 2nd and 3rd generation US Hispanics, especially with the Mexican market, in order to maximize content quality
12. Capacity to Ability to monitor competition and industry trends with particular emphasis on new media such as social networking and innovative news gathering techniques and equipment.
13. Ability to work closely with operational department heads
1. Must be willing to work from our office in Los Angeles, CA
2. Employment/education will be verified
3. Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Entravision Communications Corporation participates in the E-Verify system operated by the US Department of Homeland Security and the Social Security Administration and will use E-Verify to confirm work eligibility for all new hire employees.
Entravision Communications is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
We encourage women and minorities to apply. Via email:
Please note that EntertainmentCareers.Net uses 'disposable' email addresses in our postings. They change frequently so do not post the contact information outside of EntertainmentCareers.Net as it will likely be invalid.
Employer will only allow resumes sent as an attachment.
Do not send in the body of the email. Apply Online