Editor / Writer
EntercomNew York, NY
Part Time Job
1010 WINS, New York's one and only all-news station is looking for a news editor and writer to work in our fast paced iconic newsroom. As an editor you must have excellent editorial judgment and a deep understanding of current events, national politics, and local news. WINS writers are people that can take news copy and turn it into a story that sounds like a conversation on the city streets. If you understand that compelling writing, great story-telling, and creative use of sound make for a great news product then we want to hear from you. The ideal candidate will be a passionate news junkie with his/her finger on the pulse of NYC.
New York is the greatest, most diverse city in America. Our stories reflect the people, issues, politics, and quality of life the city.
• Thrives under unrelenting deadline pressure.
• Supervises on-air product, including editorial content
• Select stories for coverage and manage editorial product in conjunction with News managers
• Oversees line-up of newscasts and makes changes as necessary
• Organizes and delegates assignments
• Coordinates breaking news/weather coverage.
• Extensive writing under deadline pressure
• Ability to continuously update copy throughout shift
• Must be able to read and understand complex material and turn it into easy to understand copy
• Ability to follow breaking news and update source copy in station
• Work with a team of seasoned professionals
• Strong ability to incorporate audio into written stories
• Have working knowledge of legal guidelines, FCC rules, etc. and how they apply to your writing
• Candidates must be expert in audio editing and Social Media.
• You must be able to work in one of the most fast-paced radio newsrooms under the most demanding deadlines anywhere.
• You must have the ability to assign and write for major breaking news stories, tragedies, lighter stories, celebrities, newsmakers, and thrive in an environment where your work is subject to intense public scrutiny.
This position requires a minimum of 3-5 years of major market experience as a broadcast producer/writer.