Dreamworks FeatureGlendale, CA
Full Time Job
Role Summary: The Surfacing Artist is responsible for defining the final 3d rendered look and technical delivery of characters, environments, and props established by the Surfacing Supervisor and Production Designer. The Surfacing Artist develops the look of assets using a variety of techniques and tools, using a combination of artistic and technical skills.
• Establishes the look and qualities of characters, props and environments for an animated film with direction from the Production Designer, Art Director and Surfacing Supervisor
• Ability to handle complex and technically demanding Surfacing setups
• Troubleshoots creative and technical issues as they arise
• Works with other departments to communicate Surfacing needs (such as Modeling) and provide for other departments' needs (like Lighting and Character FX)
• Ensures that Surfacing files are complete and ready for lighting
• Stays aware of the broader show needs as they relate to the Surfacing Department (schedule, complexity of setups, etc.)
• Good artistic eye for detail with ability to create a fleshed-out look to match various 2d Art
• Department references
• Experience with 3D paint packages (such as Mari, Substance, ZBrush)
• Detail oriented with ability to handle the complexity of our pipeline
• Familiarity with Polygonal and UV Layout
• Familiarity with construction of complex shader networks.
• Ability to debug complex shader networks.
• Proven track record of successful collaboration within a team.
• Proactive and creative problem solver.
• Experience within other discipline skills (i.e. modeling, compositing, animation, etc.)
• 3 years production experience on a feature film
• Background in visual arts