Dreamworks FeatureGlendale, CA
Full Time Job
An FX Artist designs and creates elements and effects for the look of a film. An FX artist may also develop systems for use across the show or for specific sequences.
• Design and create images, elements, and effects (such as fire, smoke, water, destruction, magic, etc).
• Work with other artists, the FX head, VFX supervisor, and the director to achieve the art directed goals.
• Efficiently execute systems developed by other FX Artists and propagate/improve them in production shots.
• Offer solutions to meet production's creative and/or technical requirements.
• Ability to multitask, understand priorities, and hit deadlines.
• Ability to work independently on assignments and be proactive to show/department needs.
• Mentor and assist other artists in effects work and other computer graphics techniques.
• Stay abreast of current technologies and offer ideas to implement them effectively.
• Strong communication skills, interact professionally with others, respectful and punctual in meetings.â€'â€'
• Must be able to provide a reel/portfolio of work examples -- if available, include a web address when you submit your resume
2 years of production experience involving simulations of natural phenomenon, particle systems, procedural modeling, procedural animation, and other similar effects.
Experience in feature-length animation or live-action VFX production pipeline desirable.
Solid understanding of software like Houdini, Nuke, or similar 3D packages for use in particle systems, fluid simulation, rigid bodies, procedural geometry and compositing.
Education in animation/graphics/computer science/VFX (or equivalent) program; traditional artistic training a plus.
Must have strong visual and problem-solving skills.
A good visual understanding of physical dynamics and natural phenomena along with a strong artistic eye to create compelling natural simulation.
Ability to self-critique creative work, address notes, and expand upon the art direction given.
Work collaboratively and professionally in a high-end software and production environment.
Experience scripting and/or programming a plus.