Dreamworks FeatureGlendale, CA
Full Time Job
DreamWorks Animation is looking for more adventurous dreamers who shoot for the moon. We tell stories about the journeys our unconventional heroes take to make dreams come true. As a growth-minded studio, we pride ourselves on being one of the world's leading producers of high-quality, award-winning, animated films and series, reaching consumers around the globe. We push to feel more, laugh more, and build immersive new worlds.
DreamWorks creates a diverse array of original content in a variety of formats, delivering compelling stories with unique characters. We place tremendous value on the experiences our talent brings to the table from their own non-traditional paths to success. We believe in frequent communication and that transparency and trust yield the best work. We are a community of artists, technologists, innovators, and creators, who are passionate about animation and also happen to love eating lunch together.
The Character Rigger is responsible for constructing 3D character rigs and animation interfaces, and establishing muscle, skin, hair, fur and/or clothing behaviors which range from broad squash and stretch to realistic physical simulations.
If you are part of the fandom and believe teamwork makes the dream work, join us in #livingthedream and #doingyourdreamwork!
â€œWhat would you say you do here?â€
• Design, build, test and maintain character set ups
• Work with Modeling to create a model that meets technical needs
• Work with R&D to craft, debug and evaluate new tools
• Collaborate with animators to design motion controls
• Develop and maintain character motion and deformation systems
• Develop new techniques and processes to solve character production challenges
• Work with PE and/or Dept TDs to integrate and maintain setups
• Work with FX and CharFX to provide them with information needed to integrate characters and digital effects
• Work with Lighting to achieve final model for rendering
• Write utility scripts and programs to streamline the setup process
• Work with production management to prioritize tasks
• Keep supervisors informed of progress, changes, roadblocks and other critical issues
• Participate in training, recruiting and other global department tasks as requested
â€œWhat do I need to have in order to do this job?â€
3 years production experience
Knowledge of traditional animation techniques and the principles of character motion
Knowledge of anatomy
Training in visual arts and understanding of form, geometry and movement
Knowledge in programming and software development skills
Excellent communication and presentation skills
Desired Qualifications: â€œWhat can I offer?â€
Unix experience desired
Practical knowledge of academics such as linear algebra, trigonometry, geometry, calculus and differential geometry