Technical Writer / Trainer
Walt Disney PicturesGlendale, CA
Full Time Job
The Walt Disney Company is a world-class entertainment and technology leader. Walt's passion was to continuously envision new ways to move audiences around the world-a passion that remains our touchstone in an enterprise that stretches from: animation, theme parks, resorts and a cruise line to sports, news, movies and a variety of other businesses. Uniting each endeavor is a commitment to creating and delivering unforgettable experiences - and we're constantly looking for new ways to enhance these exciting experiences. Part of the Walt Disney Television Group, Disney Television Animation (DTVA) is a high-volume digital animation production studio. Because of DTVA's strong use of commercial and custom software technologies to create its animation products, its use of technology, engineering, development techniques and software are critical to its production operations and workflows. Disney Television Animation Technology (DTVAT) innovates and delivers solutions that support our animation studio whose content is legendary and transcends generations. As part of the Technology team you'll be joining a group of passionate, dedicated technologists solving a range of interesting problems in innovative ways in an exciting and dynamic industry. We are looking for high-performing, motivated individuals who are generalists and proficient in many technologies and languages. Our team embraces disruptive thinkers who can drive innovation.
We're looking for an intellectually curious, business-savvy, technical writing powerhouse that also has experience in hosting training sessions to join the Disney Television Animation Technology team as a Technical Writer / Trainer. In this role, you will be responsible for: auditing, designing, laying out, creating, writing, and organizing Technical Documentation. This documentation will become the bedrock for custom end user training sessions that will align our deliverables to our business and production end users' needs across the various Disney Television Animation productions and departments. You will be: working through existing documentation, meeting with end users, surveying feedback and collecting user behavioral data, researching industry standards, current workflows and software development and design sprints and applying these experiences becoming a leading subject matter expert in the area of Technical Writing and Training for Disney Television Animation.
The Technical Writer / Trainer will create / write and maintain: workflow documentation, user guides, release notes, cheat sheets and quick reference guides and online help systems and/or other end-user deliverables for our Software Engineering, System Administration and Engineering and Support Engineering groups. It is critical that this documentation be accurate, populated with relevant, understandable, up to date and clear content as it provides self-help assistance to our internal customers. The Technical Writer / Trainer must be an exceptional writer and trainer that follows best practices in their passion to develop and communicate effective content.
• Create and maintain strong relationships with Subject Matter Experts (Developers / Product Owners, Engineers, Production Personnel, and Users, etc.), Technology team members -Architecture, QA and Support Teams
• Work in partnership with Subject Matter Experts, scrum process participants and technology solutions development throughout our product life cycles to thoroughly understand applications, workflows and solution in order to keep content accurate
• Identify, write and maintain documentation for our portfolio of applications in the form of: workflow documentation, user guides, release notes, cheat sheets and quick reference guides and online help systems
• Create graphical diagram, flow charts, illustrations and images as needed for inclusion in documentation
• Work with Developers, QA and Support Engineers to validate documentation, reviewing and testing software as needed for accuracy and consistency; comparative to documentation needs -identifying problems and suggesting revisions
• Maintain accuracy and consistency of body of documentation across all workflows and solutions
• Maintain documentation index and solution release schedules to and align documentation updates to release deadlines
• Create functional requirements documents and user stories on an as needed basis.
• Create end user documentation handouts as needed
• In line with documentation, create Training programs and presentation material for training
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills, coupled with the ability to generate complete and concise high-quality documentation and materials.
• A creative contributor and problem solver who is a proven self-starter that can work independently with minimal supervision.
• Possess strong organizational skills with a detailed and curious mindset.
• Ability to gather and document business requirements, follow standard practices for Requirements Gathering Processes, and committed to ensuring that documentation and training materials delivered are of high quality and meet design and all customer requirements.
• Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks for on-schedule delivery.
• Knowledge and understanding of Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC) and Agile Development/Testing practices and methodologies.
• Excellent Interpersonal skills for analysis, collaboration and teamwork.
• Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power Point, Visio), Adobe software tools.
• Quick learner with a strong desire to learn the unique aspects of the Disney Television Animation business.
• Proven ability to perform in a fast-paced deadline driven environment.
• Fluent in verbal and written English
• Candidates will be required to submit samples of their work products
• Bachelor's degree in Information Technology, Communications, Journalism or similar field; or equivalent job related experience/knowledge
About Disney Television Animation:
Disney Television Animation loves characters. Characters reveal our deepest emotions and what it means to be human… even if you're an animated duck, mouse, muppet, lion, boy or girl. Are you the type of character that loves animation and wants to be part of the team that makes the magic happen? Disney Television Animation, an integral part of The Walt Disney Company, creates many of the company's most beloved animated shows. If you've got a passion to join our team of talented professionals, we want to hear your story.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and