Realtime Lighting Technical Director
Disney Television AnimationGlendale, CA
Full Time Job
Disney Television Animation is an industry leader in the production of quality animated properties across Disney-branded channels and platforms worldwide. The Walt Disney Company's Direct-to-Consumer and International segment (DTCI) is a global, multiplatform media, technology and distribution organization for high-quality content created by Disney's Studio Entertainment and Media Networks groups.
These two groups are collaborating on an experimental content production initiative, which involves the use of realtime technology (game engines) to produce high-quality linear animation and transmedia experiences. We are seeking experienced, motivated self-starters passionate about transformational innovation and exploring future-looking content production technologies. This is the second phase of a successful R&D project and is expected to last approximately one year, and, in success, to continue on to a third phase.
The Realtime Lighting Technical Director is responsible for shading and lighting multiple CG animated realtime projects. Under the supervision of the Realtime CG Supervisor, the Realtime Lighting Technical Director lights both environments on a global level, as well as shot-by-shot after an initial CG animatic and rough cut have been created. This role is responsible for adjusting and refining in-engine shaders and lights to achieve a look-of-picture quality bar established by the Realtime CG Supervisor and the Art Director during pre-production and production. The Realtime Lighting Technical Director is responsible for collaborating with Realtime Cinematic Directors in the managing of realtime project files, as well as exporting and rendering final frames from the reatlime engine.
• Work with the Realtime CG Supervisor and Art Director to develop the visual style and create lighting for sets and shots during production.
• Adjust and refine shaders delivered from external vendors for assets and fx.
• Export and render final frames out of the realtime engine in a format that can be handed off to post-production departments.
• Collaborate with the Realtime Cinematic Directors to develop basic set lighting to be used in CG
animatics and rough cuts.
• Troubleshoot various in-engine technical difficulties with shaders, lights, and rendering.
• Extensive experience with lighting in a realtime engine, specifically in Unity.
• Strong understanding of physically-based lighting best practices and color theory.
• Technical knowledge of CG pipelines and standard workflows.
• Ability to evaluate, report on, and resolve technical problems with processes and tools during production.
• Ability to thrive in an environment with ever-evolving processes and goals.
• Experience with graphics engineering for realtime engines.
• Experience with virtual reality or augmented reality productions.
• Passion in regards to evolving and changing technologies.
About Disney Television Animation:
Disney Television Animation loves characters. Characters reveal our deepest emotions and what it means to be human… even if you're an animated duck, mouse, muppet, lion, boy or girl. Are you the type of character that loves animation and wants to be part of the team that makes the magic happen? Disney Television Animation, an integral part of The Walt Disney Company, creates many of the company's most beloved animated shows. If you've got a passion to join our team of talented professionals, we want to hear your story.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Pictures, which is part of a business segment we call Disney Television Animation.
Walt Disney Pictures is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.