Realtime Art Director
Disney Television AnimationGlendale, CA
Full Time Job
Disney Television Animation is an industry leader in the production of quality animated properties across Disney-branded channels and platforms worldwide. The Walt Disney Company's Direct-to-Consumer and International segment (DTCI) is a global, multiplatform media, technology and distribution organization for high-quality content created by Disney's Studio Entertainment and Media Networks groups.
These two groups are collaborating on an experimental content production initiative, which involves the use of realtime technology (game engines) to produce high-quality linear animation and transmedia experiences. We are seeking experienced, motivated self-starters passionate about transformational innovation and exploring future-looking content production technologies. This is the second phase of a successful R&D project and is expected to last approximately one year, and, in success, to continue on to a third phase.
The Realtime Art Director is responsible for overseeing the design of several episodic productions being created in a realtime engine. The Realtime Art Director generates orthographic illustrations, shader packets, expression sheets, pose sheets, and other various art assets to be delivered to external vendors for modeling, texturing and rigging. The Realtime Art Director provides notes and revision draw-overs to external vendors on all assets. In collaboration with the Realtime CG Supervisor, the Realtime Art
Director sets the look-of-picture for Realtime Lighting Technical Directors to work towards.
• Partner with the Producer to scope and bid each asset of the production.
• Create 2D concept art for external asset vendors.
• Work with Realtime Animation Supervisor to develop pose sheets and expression sheets for characters, as needed.
• Supervise asset creation from an external vendor, ensuring all assets reach a standardized creative quality bar.
• Supervise lighters creatively, ensuring that each episode hits an acceptable quality bar and is aligned with the look-of-picture.
• Extensive background in character and environment design, using 2D techniques intended to guide the creation of 3D assets.
• Strong creative eye, with the ability to guide artists towards a set look-of-picture.
• Working experience with managing external vendors creatively.
• Ability to thrive in an environment with ever-evolving processes and goals.
• Experience with Unity realtime engine.
• Experience with virtual reality, augmented reality, or game productions.
• Experience with various 3D sculpting and design DCC packages, like Autodesk Mudbox or Pixologic Zbrush.
• Experience with Quill VR Painting Software or similar.
• Passion in regards to evolving and changing technologies.
About Disney Television Animation:
Disney Television Animation loves characters. Characters reveal our deepest emotions and what it means to be human… even if you're an animated duck, mouse, muppet, lion, boy or girl. Are you the type of character that loves animation and wants to be part of the team that makes the magic happen? Disney Television Animation, an integral part of The Walt Disney Company, creates many of the company's most beloved animated shows. If you've got a passion to join our team of talented professionals, we want to hear your story.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Pictures, which is part of a business segment we call Disney Television Animation.
Walt Disney Pictures is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.