Realtime Animation Supervisor
Disney Television AnimationGlendale, CA
Full Time Job
Disney Television Animation is an industry leader in the production of quality animated properties across Disney-branded channels and platforms worldwide. The Walt Disney Company's Direct-to-Consumer and International segment (DTCI) is a global, multiplatform media, technology and distribution organization for high-quality content created by Disney's Studio Entertainment and Media Networks groups.
These two groups are collaborating on an experimental content production initiative, which involves the use of realtime technology (game engines) to produce high-quality linear animation and transmedia experiences. We are seeking experienced, motivated self-starters passionate about transformational innovation and exploring future-looking content production technologies. This is the second phase of a successful R&D project and is expected to last approximately one year, and, in success, to continue on to a third phase.
The Realtime Animation Supervisor is responsible for overseeing creative and technical quality of external vendor animation. The Realtime Animation Supervisor works with Realtime Cinematic Creators to develop a pose library for CG animatic purposes for each episode, as well as building blocking rigs to communicate posing and acting beats in rough form. The Realtime Animation Supervisor reviews and provides notes on animation passes from external vendors, and polishes animation as needed during production. This role is heavily involved in the creative development process, and helps shape story through character performance.
• Drive and manage the quality of animation across multiple episodes during production.
• Work with Art Director to develop expression sheets for each CG character, as needed.
• Provide pose library to Realtime Cinematic Creators to build CG animatics.
• Create blocking rig internally for pose libraries from external vendor WIP assets.
• Launch external vendors on performance, timing, dialogue, and other materials for animation.
• Polish and revise external vendor animation on a case-by-case basis.
• Extensive experience animating CG characters in a 3D space.
• Extensive experience supervising external vendors and providing direction on 3D animation.
• Working knowledge of CG character rigging, with the ability to create basic blocking rigs.
• Experience working in a realtime production environment.
• Technical knowledge of CG pipelines and standard workflows.
• Strong aesthetic sense of character performance, posing, and expression.
• Understanding of standard DCC packages and workflows, such as Maya.
• Experience with Unity.
• Experience with animating and blending cycles for games or interactive content.
• Experience with motion capture.
• Experience with virtual reality, augmented reality, or game productions.
• Excitement in regards to evolving and changing technologies.
About Disney Television Animation:
Disney Television Animation loves characters. Characters reveal our deepest emotions and what it means to be human… even if you're an animated duck, mouse, muppet, lion, boy or girl. Are you the type of character that loves animation and wants to be part of the team that makes the magic happen? Disney Television Animation, an integral part of The Walt Disney Company, creates many of the company's most beloved animated shows. If you've got a passion to join our team of talented professionals, we want to hear your story.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Pictures, which is part of a business segment we call Disney Television Animation.
Walt Disney Pictures is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.