Director - Business Affairs, Disney Channels Worldwide
Disney ChannelBurbank, CA
Full Time Job
The Disney ABC Networks Group Business Affairs Department is hiring a Director, Business Affairs who will be an integral team member for Disney Channel and Disney XD, reporting to a Vice President. The person will have day-to-day responsibilities for structuring, negotiating, managing and advising on deals for the development and production of live action scripted and alternative television series, Disney's new direct-to-consumer streaming service Disney , television movies, and licensed/co-produced projects. This person is expected to work in a highly collaborative fashion with other Business Affairs and Legal Affairs members and members of Creative, Production, Production Finance, Programming, Acquisitions, Marketing, Brand Management, and Digital Media.
• Negotiate deals with respect to live action scripted series/movies and reality programming, Disney's new direct-to-consumer streaming service Disney , as well as licensed/co-produced programming.
• Establish and maintain client relationships with regular, effective and timely communications concerning deal negotiation and business strategy.
• Collaborate with Legal Affairs to get long-form agreements signed on a timely basis.
• Work with contracts administration on tracking of contractual options for properties and talent, payments, and deal summaries.
• Follow ''best practices'' and contribute toward improving deal parameters, deal memo templates, departmental process and procedures, as well as great ideas and creative problem solving on deals and projects.
• Supervise shared assistant.
• At least 5 years of on point and/or network and/or television studio legal affairs and/or business affairs experience.
• Solid expertise with respect to guild and union agreements, contracts, and intellectual property law.
• Exceptional negotiating skills, strong drafting abilities, exceptional communication skills (written and verbal), and creative problem-solving abilities.
• Strong ability to work independently.
• Contribute positively as a collaborative member of a team, with a strong commitment to learning and excellence.
• Exceptional organizational, prioritization and time management skills with the ability to execute against multiple, high-priority projects in a fast-paced environment with a keen attention to detail.
• 2 years or more of law firm experience.
• Prior production and/or distribution experience and/or other entertainment, media, acquisitions, or new media-related experience.
• Relevant experience in entertainment-related field, with an emphasis on negotiation, drafting and issue spotting.
• Experience with negotiating and drafting agreements involving production in Canada, alternative financing structures for production abroad, and distribution for existing and emerging platforms.
• Must have a four year degree and a JD.
• Must be a member in good standing of a State Bar.
• California Bar membership preferred.
About Disney ABC Television Group:
Disney/ABC Television Group (DATG) redefines the future of media and entertainment. Delivering compelling creative, great storytelling, ground-breaking technology, high-impact marketing and innovative distribution, DATG offers multiple opportunities to build a career that supports entertaining and informing the world. A key unit of The Walt Disney Company, one of the world's most admired vertically integrated media enterprises, DATG includes global live action and animation entertainment, news, owned television stations, and radio. If you've got a passion to join our team of talented professionals we want to hear your story.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney/ABC Cable Services, which is part of a business segment we call Disney ABC Television Group.
Disney/ABC Cable Services is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.