Software Engineer, Digital Media
Disney ABC Television GroupBurbank, CA
Full Time Job
In the Digital Media Technology team at the Disney-ABC Television Group we build high-traffic applications and services, and mobile apps for a variety of platforms.
Our Technology team is responsible for the development of the Emmy Award-winning ABC Player, the Emmy Award-winning 83rd Academy Awards Backstage Pass app for iPhone and iPad as well as the DisneyNOW and WATCH ABC apps on a multitude of platforms.
The Software Engineer will be part of the Digital Media Technology (EIA) Team and will be responsible for delivering highly scalable solutions for the digital media platform.
The environment is fast-paced and the goals are demanding, but the projects are unique, the work is rewarding and the crew likes to have fun. Our ideal candidate is creative, energetic, deeply knowledgeable about the latest technologies, and has a passion for demonstrating skill and precision in his/her work.
• Create robust highly scalable and fault-tolerant solutions.
• Work with a team to design and implement software engineering solutions
• Analyze and optimize application code for efficiency, reliability and performance
• Create and maintain design and other technical documentations and artifacts.
• Manage multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced deadline-oriented environment
• Work with minimal technical supervision and supplemental engineering support
• Embrace a highly collaborative team that rewards quality code and effective communication
• Stay current with the latest development best practices
• Write efficient, reliable, and maintainable code whether implementing architectural improvements, user-facing features, or fixing bugs
• Troubleshoot and resolve issues, problems, and errors encountered across our various platforms
• Demonstrated ability in developing enterprise applications (high volume transactions, caching, fault tolerant and scalable systems)
• Experience with enterprise Java and open source technologies
• Experience with multithreading programming
• Fundamentally sound with software design patterns
• Ability to collaborate in a small, productive development team as well as ability to work independently
• Proficient with all aspects of the Software Development Lifecycle
• Motivated self-starter with the ability to learn and adapt to new technologies
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills; can effectively articulate complex ideas and influence others through well-reasoned explanations
• Industry certification
• Experience with any of the following technologies and concepts is a plus :
• Enterprise CMS
• Open sources frameworks and tools such as Spring, Hibernate, Solr, ehcache, Zuul, Zookeeper, Archaius, Hystrix, Consul and others
• Servlet containers such as Tomcat, Undertow, Nginx
• Lightweight containers like Docker
• Cloud-based technologies (AWS, EC2, S3, SQS, Kinesis, DynamoDB)
• Familiar with Microservices architecture
• NoSQL databases such as MongoDB and Cassandra
• Automated testing frameworks like JUnit, Mockito, Cucumber and Gherkin
• Familiar with Reactive programming and frameworks like Vert.x
• Continuous integration tools such as JenkinsHLS or other video streaming technologies
• BS or MS in Computer Science or related field or equivalent work experience
The Disney/ABC Television Group is composed of the Walt Disney Company's (NYSE: DIS) global entertainment and news television properties, owned television stations group, as well as radio and publishing businesses. This includes the ABC Television Network, ABC Owned Television Stations Group, ABC News, ABC Studios, Disney Channels Worldwide, FreeForm, Radio Disney, as well as Disney/ABC Domestic Television and Disney Media Distribution. The company's equity interest in A&E Television Networks round out the Group's portfolio of media businesses.
Equal Opportunity Employer- Female/Minority/Veteran/Disability