Disney ABC Television GroupNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Director, Development- ABC News Longform
The Director of Development (Longform) will manage all development for ABC News Features projects/production teams across 20/20, Nightline, specials, features, and Lincoln Square Productions. This role will develop, and create pitch packages (including decks and sizzles) for all programs, and will also be expected to pitch. Current slate of projects includes productions for ABC News, National Geographic, Lifetime, Discovery, Netflix, Hulu, Freeform and Disney Plus.
ABC News is looking for someone with an entrepreneurial spirit, who thrives on non-fiction storytelling and embraces unconventional thinking. We are seeking an experienced documentary film and television executive for this position, who will represent ABC News Longform in the support of all aspects of non-fiction development and distribution. S/he will collaborate with content studios across all segments of The Walt Disney Company and outside partners. S/he will play a critical role in the overall creative approach for original programming for ABC News. The ideal candidate will have experience in a comparable position shepherding development for documentary film and television programming for Network, Cable, and SVOD platforms. This executive will be a senior member of the creative team and help the unit build its brand. This position will represent ABC News Longform across scripted and unscripted series development with a focus on non-fiction multiplatform development and distribution.
• Execute on the creative strategy as defined by the SVP Longform to develop and distribute unique and compelling non-fiction content
• Oversee the development of non-fiction series
• Conduct outreach, pitch, and execute a strategy to build a robust slate of production for the ABC Network, Disney owned platforms and non-Disney owned platforms.
• Track, solicit, evaluate, procure, and develop scripted and unscripted programming from pitch to pilot
• Partner with Creative team to develop content strategy and original concepts
• Play instrumental role in creation and execution of library of content for Domestic and International distribution.
• Generate new show ideas/concepts and field pitches from inside and outside producers, talent agencies, studios and independent production companies
• Develop, write and produce sizzles and decks, including managing editors and graphic designers
• Interface with VP of Production on managing development budget
• Collaborate with VP of Production to secure new and unique partnerships
• Oversee the development of multiple unscripted series per season
• Lead, mentor and develop junior team members
• Provide general creative counsel in a rapidly changing consumer environment
• Identify IP (including books and formats) for the division to option and develop.
• Work closely with the division head to implement creative development strategy in all capacities
• Work closely with BA and production teams on deal strategy and production matters
• 8 or more years of overall work experience in media and entertainment; television experience required
• A minimum of 4 years of experience developing non- fiction series
• Strong existing relationships with the creative community and production companies, agents, writers, directors, producers, etc.
• Demonstrated creative and development skills
• Self-motivated to develop new ideas and build new talent relationships
• Ability to communicate effectively to all levels of management
• Ability to multitask and manage complex projects
• Demonstrated knowledge of the creative process from concept through production
• Demonstrated leadership and collaboration skills
• Strategic command of managing a portfolio of content with a demonstrated track record of developing buzzworthy content to generate maximum viewership
• Insight into ABC News long form segments, brands and franchises and the qualities that define them
• Established professional network and reputation as a smart doer within the documentary film and TV industry even when things are not certain or the way forward is not clear
• Strong leadership, organizational skills and emotionally intelligent communicator with a vision
• Proven ability to work across a matrixed organization while also able to self-motivate
• Track record developing commercially successful and/or critically-acclaimed television
• Demonstrable writing skills and excellent knowledge of script and story structure
• Superior ability to lead meetings, present and communicate effectively
• A self-starter with an entrepreneurial approach; assertive, enthusiastic and highly motivated
• A team player who works well with others
• BA or equivalent work experience
About Disney ABC Television Group:
Disney/ABC Television Group (DATG) redefines the future of media and entertainment. Delivering compelling creative, great storytelling, ground-breaking technology, high-impact marketing and innovative distribution, DATG offers multiple opportunities to build a career that supports entertaining and informing the world. A key unit of The Walt Disney Company, one of the world's most admired vertically integrated media enterprises, DATG includes global live action and animation entertainment, news, owned television stations, and radio. If you've got a passion to join our team of talented professionals we want to hear your story.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with American Broadcasting Companies, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Disney ABC Television Group.
American Broadcasting Companies, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.