Counsel, Disney Channel Worldwide / Disney
Disney/ABC Cable ServicesBurbank, CA
Full Time Job
Legal Affairs for Disney Channel Worldwide is searching for an attorney to work in the role of Counsel who will provide support in structuring, negotiating, drafting and advising on deals relating to the development and production of television programming for both Disney Channel/Disney XD/Disney Junior as well as for our new streaming service, Disney . This person will work in a supportive role as they continue to develop legal expertise, judgment and experience that is expected of more senior positions.
• Draft, negotiate, and oversee a wide variety of entertainment agreements, including those involving the development and production of television pilots, series and movies (e.g., staff writers, Art. 14 writers, line producers, directors, casting directors) produced for telecast on Disney Channel, Disney XD and Disney Junior.
• Draft, negotiate, and oversee a wide variety of entertainment agreements, including those involving the development and production of television pilots, series and movies (e.g., staff writers, Art. 14 writers, line producers, directors, casting directors) produced for exploitation on the Disney streaming service.
• Provide analysis and advice in connection with legal rights and obligations, intellectual property matters (e.g., chain of title, trademarks, copyrights), governmental compliance (e.g., FCC regulations), insurance claims, production clearances (e.g., defamation, rights of publicity, privacy an first amendment), employment of minors (e.g., California Labor Laws) and other matters.
• Provide general oversight and legal supervision over all legal matters that relate to assigned projects.
• Provide counsel to creative, business affairs, and production executives, and to television writers and producers with respect to original and complex fact-based projects.
• Continue to develop an in-depth understanding and knowledge of the industry
• Continue to develop external legal contacts to learn and stay abreast of industry trends/legal
• A minimum of five (5) years of entertainment, intellectual property, corporate transactions and/or litigation experience at a law firm or major corporate or studio legal department
• Possess basic knowledge of industry best practices specific to business or legal specialty
• Exceptional organizational, prioritization, problem solving, analytical, and time management skills with the ability to execute multiple, high-priority projects, and a keen attention to detail
• Excellent academic credentials and references
• Ability to perform duties under minimal supervision while exercising discretion and independent, sound judgment
• Strong drafting, negotiation and communication skills, along with the ability to work under deadline and provide significant individual contributions while working as part of a diverse and dynamic team
• Ability to build professional, interdepartmental relationships at multiple levels
• Computer literacy and proficiency
• JD required (with CA Bar membership)
About Media Networks:
The Media Networks segment includes cable and broadcast television networks, television production and distribution operations, publishing, domestic television stations, digital businesses and radio networks and stations.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney/ABC Cable Services, which is part of a business segment we call Media Networks.
Disney/ABC Cable Services is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.