Discovery CommunicationsLondon, GB
Full Time Job
Eurosport Digital is Discovery's primary drive into the Direct to Consumer business in Europe. It currently comprises two parts; Eurosport.com - the continent's number one sports news website - and Eurosport Player, a leading subscription-based OTT sports platform available across Europe.
The business is in a period of high growth, fueled by investment in rights, marketing, product and content.
For Job Purpose
Core to Eurosport’s strategy for serving customers is creating compelling and intuitive digital products. Eurosport is looking for an experienced technology leader to build and lead the technology and engineering team based in London and Paris. This role will be responsible for leading the software development team focusing on the front-end UI/UX and backend infrastructure, with a specific focus on apps and client solutions for Mobile, Web, Connected TV, and Set-Top-Box operating systems and devices.
This position will oversee development of cutting-edge sports streaming and interactive product experiences and be a key member of the Eurosport Digital Leadership team. He/she will partner with various cross-functional stakeholders and teams to ensure the successful delivery of all Eurosport Digital offerings.
1. Lead the development team to ensure successful delivery of customer-centric, best-in-class products and deliverables within budgets and deadlines.
2. Accountable for the front-end client engineering and development across Mobile, Web, Connected TVs, and Set-Top-Box operating systems and devices.
3. Responsible for maintenance (dev ops, sys ops) and development of backend systems and APIs (Eurosport.com CMS, live sports data feeds, live and non-live video ingestion, transcoding, delivery, etc.)
4. Implement and manage effective and transparent software development processes.
5. Collaborate with the product team on product strategy, feature prioritization, and managing the delivery schedule.
6. Work closely with the CTO and the global technology organization to understand global technology strategy and align Eurosport technology with that.
7. Collaborate with the Eurosport Digital leadership team and contribute to solutions for major business issues
8. Communicate engineering project and program plans along with key milestones and provide regular, organized updates to relevant stakeholders.
1. Lead and support a high-performing team giving on-going feedback and advice for improvement as required.
2. Build and lead a best-in-class team of developers, engineers, program/project managers, system integrators, QA, and dev ops.
3. Cascade information to team accordingly so everyone is aligned and focused on goals and objectives.
4. Build and manage relationships with any external data providers, developers, quality assurance firms, and other partners as required, to ensure they meet their commitments and budget responsibilities.
5. Provide guidance and support to the team in the selection and maintenance of development tools for source control, code analysis, build processes, testing, and suitable test coverage of all deliverables including Unit Tests.
6. Guide and support test teams in the selection of the most appropriate test strategy for each supported platform.
7. Champion continuous improvement of development and test processes new technologies and changes to existing processes.
8. Establish Dev Ops processes along with global technology organization and Global Technology Operations organizations.
9. Establish operational processes for the team and be accountable for operational excellence of Eurosport technology.
* A customer-centric, collaborative technology leader with proven track record of building and delivering quality digital product experiences.
* Extensive experience in a similar role within interactive, technology, or media industries developing innovative desktop and mobile responsive websites, expertise building Mobile (iOS, Android) and ConnectedTV (Roku, FireTV, tvOS, etc.) streaming and interactive applications strongly preferred.
* Expansive knowledge of Internet technologies such as media streaming, content delivery networks (CDNs), DRM, and REST APIs.
* Working knowledge of AWS technologies to build scalable cloud-based systems.
* Experience working with no-sql databases and with operating very large cloud-based technologies and diving deep into operational issues.
* Extensive knowledge in end-to-end product development and engineering processes.
* Experience of working with teams and stakeholders in multiple locations, comfortable working within a matrix environment and influencing without authority.
* Appetite and excitement for substantial innovation of digital sports product experiences.
* Strong leadership skills with the ability to build, motivate and lead a diverse, high-performing team.
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to translate technology terms for non-technical audience.
* Positive attitude and an ability to be flexible and to quickly adapt to change.
* Organized, results and deadline-oriented, self-motivated, with problem-solving abilities.