VP - Programming
Discovery CommunicationsNew York, NY
Full Time Job
An opportunity to join Animal Planet as a member of the senior team in an exciting time in the brand evolution. Reporting to the Group SVP Strategy & Programming, the VP Programming will be responsible for managing short & long-term scheduling strategies, and for driving ratings performance through the schedule. The role will have a global outlook, working to long lead times in partnering with international teams to align markets globally for the roll-out of content.
Additionally, the VP Programming will also help guide acquisition, co-production and pre-sale strategy, and partner with digital teams to shape future windowing strategies between digital & linear products.
This role will require a strong and experienced leader, with great communication skills, a keen attention to detail, and an ability to translate consumer trends and insights into scheduling strategy. The successful candidate will also display creativity within programming & scheduling roles, with a demonstrated ability to maximise the use of inventory through innovative initiatives.
1. With the Group SVP Strategy & Programming, develop long-term scheduling strategies and content requirements for Animal Planet across all dayparts, including development of annual upfront plans
2. Lead and own a deep understanding of the competitive landscape, linear and otherwise. Keep key stakeholders updated and partner closely with research, development & production to spot and understand trends, changes in competitor strategies and associated impact
3. Maintain a sharp and detailed focus on schedule performance, optimising to maximise ratings; including building stunts with brand & consumer relevance, and responding quickly to internal & external influences
4. Pro-actively explore options to exploit the Animal Planet library of content to maximise utility, make recommendations on reversioning and re-imagining older content for use in regular schedule and in stunts.
5. Develop and maintain relationships with content distributors, recommending acquisition, pre-sale and co-production opportunities tied to content and brand strategy
6. Partner closely with relevant digital teams, including Animal Planet Go, to fuel growth opportunities for digital products
7. Ensure timely release of schedules and flow of information to all key stakeholders
8. Ensure regular coordination and communication between programming and On-Air Promotion, marketing and communications
9. Manage network relationship with ad sales to optimize revenue opportunities, including weekly ad sales calls, quarterly and ad-hoc presentations to ad sales as required.
10. Work closely with assigned finance representative to ensure regular and accurate schedule costing and budgeting
11. Manage the reversioning budget, and partner with production team to recommend and create reversions
12. Manage day-to-day relationships with all key stakeholders including development, production, research, marketing, communications, ad sales, finance, PMD and international programming teams.
13. Manage and mentor support for assigned staff.
* Bachelor's degree in related field or an equivalent combination of skills, training, and experience.
* 10 years experience in network scheduling/programming.
* Ability to interpret audience and competitive analysis data and translate into programming objectives.
* Proven leadership and project management skills.
* Excellent verbal and written communication, organizational, attention to detail, management, and interpersonal skills.
* Experience working with or across International markets desirable
* Research experience a plus.
* Legal right to work in United States.
New York City, New York, NYC, NY