VP Program Delivery
Discovery CommunicationsNew York, NY
Full Time Job
As television and media habits change, our mission remains true to the principles that founded Discovery – every day we seek to ignite people’s curiosity to engage, entertain and enlighten the world around them through amazing viewing experiences.
The Direct to Consumer Group is a technology company within the Discovery brand. We are building a global streaming video platform (OTT), and a suite of applications to support all of our network’s brands globally. We are building modern container-based micro-services operated on AWS. Our platform covers everything from search, catalog, video transcoding, personalization, to global subscriptions, and really much more. We build user experiences ranging from classic lean-back viewing to interactive learning applications. We build for connected TVs, web, mobile phones, tablets, and consoles for a large footprint of Discovery-owned networks (Discovery, Food Network, Golf TV, MotorTrend, Eurosport, Dplay, and many more) This is a growing, global engineering group crucial to Discovery’s future.
We are seeking a VP Program Delivery to join our global team. The successful candidate will have a deep technical background, exemplary communication (written and verbal) skills, strong organizational skills, and the ability to thrive with little process, direction, or oversight. This position will provide structure and vision for the program delivery team, working with a distributed teams across the US & Europe.
The ideal candidate is an established leader of leaders, who possess a strong technical program management background, with responsibility for managing a large group of distributed program managers. You are responsible for defining the mission of program delivery, inspiring and motivating your team to pursue that mission, and setting strategic goals for them to achieve in that pursuit. You have a balanced understanding of business and technical objectives and your guidance is sought out because your decisions drive the best outcomes for both. You own a set of key performance indicators important to the business and drive outcomes for the business by setting goals for your teams against these metrics. You will have experience in service-oriented architecture, project management, and agile development methodologies with a proven track record of delivering results. You must be able to thrive and succeed in an entrepreneurial environment and not be hindered by ambiguity or competing priorities.
• Lead the Direct to Consumer Global Program Delivery function, managing a team of 10 Program Managers.
• Drive these teams’ delivery through effective use of internal and external status meetings, documentation, and dashboards.
• Recruit, motivate, and develop talented individuals for leadership roles within the departments.
• Develop and oversee this team’s program deliverables including project charters, budgets, project plans, dependencies, issues logs, and change orders, etc.
• Act as point-of-contact for all program-related issues. Supervise problem solving and resolution efforts to include management of risk, contingencies, and issues. Take accountability for proactive contingency plans to mitigate risk.
• Manage and control project scope and the change control process.
• Ensure that all project documentation is produced in the standard format, follows internal documentation processes, and is reviewed and approved before final delivery.
Minimum of 8 years of proven experience in program leadership in technology, media, or relevant industries.
• Minimum of 5 years managing large program management teams, with responsibilities that included day-to-day management, professional development, hiring and retention, and coaching and mentoring.
• Proven experience in working for a fast-paced product-led tech business.
• Exceptional interpersonal, analytical, problem solving, negotiating, influencing, facilitation, organizational, prioritization, decision making, and conflict resolution skills.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Can communicate the results of your work clearly to your audience.
• Thrives in an ambiguous and fast-paced environment & comfortable working in a distributed functional team with remote management support.
• Ability to influence senior decision-makers across the business to adopt a functional strategy.
• Demonstrated ability to motivate staff/project team, inspire teamwork and lead initiatives to success.
• Experience in managing business change to land new ways of working and systems.
• Used to working across all levels of the business; from board level to junior colleagues.
• A strong team contributor, ensuring everyone is working on the right things in the right ways.
• Proven ability to manage multiple third-party supplier relationships.
• Experience in strategic planning and execution.
• Confident in the use of program management tools and techniques that are appropriate for the situation, partnered with dynamism and flexibility in order to achieve the right outcomes
• Solid understanding of the agile program/project management methodology and practices and the ability to speak to it across stakeholders.
• Broad knowledge of relevant program/project management tools and technologies that could be applied at varying degrees across the process.