VP Product & Design
Discovery CommunicationsBellevue, WA
Full Time Job
Discovery's Digital group is a well-funded start-up within Discovery Inc. We are fast, nimble, and have fun developing new, innovative, and immersive digital products and content for iconic brands. We are working at the crossroads of technology, entertainment, and every day utility. As content creators across the digital ecosystem, we continuously leverage our technology to create immersive viewing and interactive experiences. We tell engaging stories to millions of viewers across the Internet every day, and bring new interactive experiences to life to not only entertain, but improve the lives of our customers.
We are hiring a Vice President of Product & Design for the Digital and Direct-to-Consumer business for Magnolia, a joint venture partnership between Discovery, Inc. and a Chip and Jo Gaines. This VP, Product & Design will lead the launch and ongoing development of new digital and direct-to-consumer products, including websites and applications across popular platforms, such as Apple, Android, Amazon, Roku, and others. They will be a strategic partner to the Magnolia leadership to improve the lives of Magnolia customers through new products across mobile, tablets, web, connected TVs, voice, and other emerging technologies. This VP, Product & Design will combine the inspiration of the Magnolia brand with data-driven decision making to bring to life compelling experiences that delight customers and increase engagement. They will lead the creation of products that solve practical problems for customers, while inspiring them and improving their everyday lives.
This role will lead the design, creation, and ongoing improvement of new digital and direct-to-consumer products for Magnolia. They will lead product planning and prioritization, user research, and the user experience design necessary to deliver product features that increase engagement, delight customers, and create passionate and loyal fans. They will lead an effective product design and development processes that starts with the customers and works from there. They will develop innovative product features, implement scalable ecommerce solutions, and ensure an end-to-end world class product experience. They will work with engineering leaders to prioritize, build, and enhance key features. They will establish operating processes to drive systematic improvements to the product based on customer feedback, needs, and behavior. This person will lead the ongoing research and testing to discover what product features best meet customer needs.
An ideal candidate will be a driven, passionate advocate for delivering the best product experience for customers. They will be excited about the Magnolia brand and what Chip and Jo Gaines’s vision can deliver for customers. This person will make data-driven decisions, have an insatiable curiosity, build for scale, and obsess about the customer. The will relentlessly investigate defects and poor customer experiences to identify the root causes and determine how to improve the customer experience. They are a leader that the team loves to work with because they inspire, develop, and care for their team members. They build trust with people from all areas of the business and have a proven track record. This leader takes end-to-end ownership and consistently delivers results in a fast-paced environment.
1. Partner with senior business, engineering, content, and marketing leaders to determine the strategic goals, plans, and operating practices needed to deliver world-class digital and direct-to-consumer products.
2. Establish a customer-centric vision for Magnolia digital and direct-to-consumer products with the Magnolia leadership team that meets key customer needs and delivers compelling experiences.
3. Lead the product planning, development, and roadmap for digital sites and direct-to-consumer apps.
4. Manage and drive improvements to the key input metrics, including engagement, usage, feedback, and perception.
5. Partner with key leaders to develop and implement a strategy that encourages potential customers to try the products and drives deeper engagement for current users.
6. Build a customer-centric design team that creates end-to-end product designs that align with Magnolia’s brand and design vision, while resulting in an easy-to-use and compelling customer experience.
7. Identify root causes of customer defects and solve these root causes through product and design enhancements.
8. Leverage data and insights to drive innovative product enhancements throughout the end-to-end product experience, including mobile apps, tablets. voice, web, and connected TVs.
9. Partner closely with data science and analytics leaders to leverage data-driven algorithms and techniques to improve the customer experience and address defects.
10. Build a scalable team to manage and enhance the end-to-end experience across the products.
11. Hire, manage, and develop product and design leaders and professionals, helping them enhance their skills and grow their careers.
12. Build an innovative and disciplined team culture that builds trust, encourages collaborations, maintains strong accountability, delivers results, increases employee engagement, and has fun.
* Minimum of 8 years of proven experience in product and design leadership in technology, ecommerce, media, or relevant industries.
* Minimum of 5 years managing teams to deliver compelling customer products, with responsibilities that included day-to-day management, professional development, hiring and retention, and coaching and mentoring.
* Demonstrated ability to work with leaders and peers to evaluate new ideas, discuss business and product concepts, creating compelling product designs, implement new features and systems, and make tradeoffs to remove roadblocks.
* Expertise in product design and development.
* Experience leading and driving systematic improvements across product, design, and engineering teams.
* Experience leading teams across multiple locations, functions, and areas of focus.
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Can communicate the results of your work clearly to your audience.
* Experience working with engineering and data science teams to build model-based product features is a plus.
* Master’s degree in business or a relevant is a plus.
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States.
Bellevue, Washington, WA, Seattle
Discovery, Inc. is the global leader in real life entertainment. We serve passionate fans with content that inspires, informs, and entertains, providing leadership across deeply loved and trusted brands, such as Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, HGTV, Food Network, and Travel Channel. Available in 220 countries and territories and 50 languages, Discovery reaches viewers on all screens and services, from free-to-air and pay-TV channels, to digital products and streaming services, to social and mobile-first content and formats. Discovery delivers over 8,000 hours of original programming each year.