VP, Original Content
Discovery CommunicationsLos Angeles, CA
This was removed by the employer on 9/3/2021 12:45:00 PM PST
Not to worry we have a lot of other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the Executive Positions Category
Browse the Marketing/Publicity/PR Category
Browse the TV Network Category
Search for VP, Original Content jobs in Los Angeles-CA
Search all VP, Original Content postings
Are you an employer?
How do I hire a VP, Original Content?
Full Time Job
At Discovery, our mission is to serve passionate fans with products, platforms and experiences that inspire, inform and entertain through industry leading content and deeply trusted & beloved brands. We're looking for leaders, innovators and creative problem solvers who are passionate about their work, and are driven to engage, entertain and delight the millions of users who visit our digital properties every day. If you want to work on the future of media alongside amazingly talented colleagues, then this is the place for you.
This Original Content role will serve as a key member of the Content Team, driving original content strategy for discovery , reporting to the SVP Original Content - DTC. The right person for this role has DTC experience: working in content at a streaming service or digital platform; is collaborative, analytical, nimble and adaptable, and is as good at plate-spinning and project management as at supporting high quality creative execution. Particular expertise in Lifestyle programming (Food & Home, True Crime & Mystery, Dating & Relationships, Paranormal, Fashion & Style, etc) a plus.
Specific responsibilities include:
1. Leverage data and research to identify content opportunities for original content to drive business goals related to subscriber acquisition, retention, engagement, and brand equity for discovery .
• Interpret user behavioral data to make data-informed content decisions, and to drive constant, ongoing optimization of the discovery original content library as well as inform greenlighting decisions on potential discovery original content.
• Partner with data science, analytics and strategy teams on dissemination of data-driven content learnings throughout the company, including dashboard and reporting design and implementation as well as monthly/quarterly/yearly reporting.
2. Collaborate with and act as a resource to the creative and production teams from across domestic and international networks on discovery Originals, providing input and guidance on selection, development, and execution with a specific DTC lens, where needed, and with a data-informed lens when possible.
3. Implement processes for smooth collaboration across Lifestyle, JV, and International network groups, whether joining existing processes or inventing new ones, with a spirit of constant iteration to meet the evolving landscape and priorities.
4. Partner with network teams to inform and involve key departments including business affairs & legal, finance, production management; plug into and / or adapt existing processes to ensure smooth execution. Inform and collaborate with marketing, PR, digital and social, et al on projects throughout all stages of the pipeline to maximize their value to the service. Act as ''hub'' for hub and spoke model across networks to create visibility and coordinated execution among competing priorities.
5. Oversee streaming-specific operationalization of Lifestyle original series, including working with digital content operations and marketing / creative services for on-site assets; scheduling for optimal release and roll-out of content; merchandising for in-app promotion and product / tech on content discovery optimizations to drive discoverability and engagement with content.
6. An advisory and consultative capacity in partnership with network content teams working on discovery Originals in the Lifestyle genres
- Bachelor's degree in related field or an equivalent combination of skills and training.
- Minimum of 6-8 years hands-on experience in non-fictional genres and general entertainment, familiarity with and affinity for Lifestyle genres preferred.
- 2 years work experience in content at a streaming platform where:
• Subscriber behavior data analysis was ubiquitous and used to drive strategy; and
• Familiarity was gained with recommendation algorithms, search engine optimization, impressions analysis & other content discovery levers
- Comfort working in a highly matrixed organization where collaboration is required to drive projects forward, frequent and clear communication is muscle memory
- Ability to build credibility, trust, and strong working relationships with internal executives and generate commitment to goals.
- Proven record of:
• leveraging data to drive content-related decisions
• partnering with analytical teams to refine KPIs / reports to increase visibility of content performance
• working in harmony with multiple creative stakeholders while serving as a unifying force; and
• providing valuable input that elevates the creative process and execution.
• outstanding editorial judgment and creative sensibilities
- Exhibits relentless pursuit of excellence
- Strong verbal and written communications skills, and demonstrated leadership skills.
- Must have the legal right to work in the United States.