VP - Media Operations
Discovery CommunicationsSterling, VA
Full Time Job
The Vice President of Media Operations is a key member of GT&O and accountable for the 24/7 management of global linear playout at the Discovery Television and Technology Center (DTTC) facility from a broadcast operations perspective. This role will oversee strategic development of operational process and procedure to ensure continued efficiencies and reliability, strategically assist in insuring that long-term technology solutions address operational needs from a functional perspective, support development and manage operating expense budgets and act as point person for all communications with other relevant departments.
Reporting directly to the VP of Media Engineering and Operations, this individual is responsible for the strategic leadership, direction and development of Broadcast Operations, Live Event and Global Broadcast Graphics teams at the Global Broadcast Center in Sterling, VA. The VP of Broadcast Operations is accountable to operate with a strong understanding of a multi-channel broadcast origination facility supporting over 300 feeds across the globe in a state of the art, cloud based digital environment.
1. Management of all on-air and supporting broadcast operations teams.
2. Ensuring maximum reliability of the on-air and related support systems, and reporting of all critical issues.
3. The VP Broadcast Operations will lead a team to provide the highest possible ''quality of service'' by providing operations and technical excellence
4. Identification of new technical directions
5. Find efficient implementation of the business' programming and technology strategies.
6. Oversee operating budgets, including planning, preparation, control of spending and forecasting of department budgets, plans and reports, overseeing the Operational Management team and working closely with the VP of Media Engineering & Operations, Finance and Media Administration teams.
7. Creating and maintaining Broadcast Operations standard operating procedures
8. Ongoing evaluation and development of management organization
9. Ongoing training and staff development
10. Keeping abreast of changes affecting the technical facility
11. Author and deliver presentations to senior management on topics or projects concerning DTTC
12. Maintain an open and collaborative dialog with Discovery’s worldwide engineering and operations teams
13. Lead the development of management team, create workflow strategies and provide expertise to growth and management of strong team members using experience. Lead, mentor and develop the performance of the entire operations and management teams, graphics and broadcast operators.
14. Directly manage the Broadcast Operations Directors and support the management of 12 DCI managers and support staff. This effort requires that the VP be on-call 24 x 7.
15. Develop operational models in support of new initiatives within the Discovery Television & Technology Center
16. Develop and manage relevant information in support of day to day functionality
17. Lead and facilitate the development of new technology planning, operational upgrade specifications and testing.
18. Facilitate BOC process documentation and refinement
19. Oversee functionality requirements for new technologies and systems
20. This position will help drive innovation through the implementation of new technology, identification of internal synergies and overall leadership.
21. Participate in failure analysis in conjunction with other technical experts: recommend revisions in processes and systems where possible to improve system performance.
22. Participate in planning and problem solving groups within the company.
* Deep knowledge of cloud-based broadcast automation technologies in a multi-channel playout origination environment.
* Knowledge of video compression systems, signal routing and distribution as well as downlink processes.
* Ability to develop and manage operating budgets.
* Strong management skills along with ability to recruit and recognize talent for support staff.
* 10 years of management level engineering and operations in large scale multichannel playout environments.
* Excellent leadership, communication (written and verbal), project management, customer service, and organizational skills.
* Ability to develop and present job related technical documentation
* Ability to communicate effectively at all levels
* Bachelors degree or higher in a related field, or an equivalent combination of skills, training and experience.
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States
Sterling, Virginia, VA
Global Technology & Operations provides technological infrastructure and operations support to ensure audiences can enjoy Discovery's programming around the world and across platforms. Already a leader in the factual and lifestyle genres, Discovery has expanded its core business into new genres: sports, entertainment and kids. Its platforms and product eco-systems are now engaged in terrestrial/free-to-air, OTT products and content development/production companies.
The Way We Work
Discovery continues to grow around the world and across platforms. GT&O is building media technology and systems that meet world class standards for which Discovery is known. Our culture and leadership traits are in evolution as we expand from a traditional linear Pay TV business towards a convergent media and entertainment business that encompasses digital and mobile. Discovery is developing direct-to-consumer relationships, while delivering traditional platforms, with innovative solutions. Discovery is looking to embrace a dynamic and entrepreneurial individual.