VP - Content Strategy & Operations
Discovery CommunicationsNew York, NY
Full Time Job
The VP, Content Strategy & Operations will play a critical role in the development and launch of a global direct-to-consumer service. Responsible for setting editorial direction, managing program acquisition and development and running content operations, the VP will ensure the service develops a unique identity in the marketplace and meets user engagement goals.
Reporting to the GM, this position will work with Discovery and third-party production partners on commissions, acquisitions and repacks, managing programming budgets. Leading a small team, the VP will oversee the full content lifecycle, from concept ideation to the merchandising of programming on the service, collaborating with the technology and product management teams.
1. Create and conceptualize programming strategy, including long-form and mid-form video series, working with Digital Studios and network development teams.
2. Identify and evaluate programming from Discovery library and current network pipeline for fit with direct-to-consumer platform. Work with BLA and Global Rights teams to ensure appropriate rights are cleared.
3. Review scripts, treatments, and materials submitted from Digital Studios and external vendors and provide timely feedback.
4. Develop new relationships and maintain existing relationships with licensing partners, producers, and talent.
6. Align multiple internal departments to ensure timely, effective and on-budget development, production and delivery of original commissions. Adhere to and maintain accountability for all aspects of DCI's editorial, budgetary and production standards, as well as contractual and deliverables requirements.
7. Clearly communicate editorial requirements and standards of quality to outside production companies throughout development and production.
8. Manage and support the development of content team.
* At least 10 years of programming and operations experience in a television or digital media environment.
* Experience in startup or launch of network preferred.
* International media experience preferred.
* Strong leadership and motivational skills, with demonstrated ability to work with little supervision and under pressure to meet tight deadlines within budgetary constraints.
* Outstanding strategic business, interpersonal, project management, and leadership skills.
* Ability to consistently generate and execute new ideas.
* Ability to work simultaneously on multiple projects in varying stages.
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States.
New York City, New York, NYC, NY