Technology Evaluation Specialist
Discovery CommunicationsSilver Spring, MD
Full Time Job
The Technology Evaluation Specialist is part of Discovery Technology Development & Strategy, Discovery’s internal research and development team. The Specialist works with the Director of Technology Evaluation & Workflow Development to complete evaluations of media technology hardware, software, and workflows. These tools will include common professional media products such as non-linear editors and transcoding systems, but may also include experimental or prototype equipment. The Specialist will spend much of their time working in the Sterling Technology Lab. The Specialist is a clear thinker who can understand, create, and execute complex test plans and work with a wide range of production, post production, broadcast, IT, and cloud products. The Specialist is a technology generalist with a strong background or education in production, post production, and IT technology.
1. Create and execute test plans and research with the assistance of the Director. Test plans will require the Specialist to work with a wide range of broadcast and IT equipment including non-linear editing systems, broadcast and IP routing systems, cameras, encoding and transcoding systems, and many other professional media tools.
2. Research hardware and software systems to provide purchasing recommendations for the technology lab and other groups within in the company.
3. Create and execute video quality evaluations on test files, including automated picture quality analysis. Interpret the results and report findings to the group and to other groups within the company.
4. Provide regular updates to the Director on work in progress as well as short term and long term priorities.
5. Maintain and upgrade technology lab systems on a regularly scheduled basis. Research upgrade options and release notes to ensure systems remain online, providing recommendations to the group for an upgrade strategy and schedule.
6. Prepare and facilitate technology demonstrations for senior management.
7. Must handle product prototypes and sensitive information covered by non-disclosure agreements between Discovery, its suppliers, and its customers.
8. Serve as a technology resource to other groups and departments within GT&O, creating test media, encoder settings, and workflows for hardware and software used throughout the company.
* Bachelor’s degree in media technology, engineering, production, or information technology preferred
* 3 years’ experience in the television industry
* Ability to quickly learn new concepts, systems, and tools
* Clear communicator with good verbal and written communications skills
* Familiarity with common production, post production, and distribution tools including the Adobe Creative Suite, Avid Media Composer, Final Cut Pro, broadcast camera systems and camcorders, file based media workflows, transcoding systems, and video and audio measurement tools
* Experience with video quality evaluation a plus
* Familiarity with creating, configuring and managing resources within the AWS and Google clouds
* Familiarity with the basics of IP networks
* Programming or web development experience recommended
* Must be able to lift 50 pounds
* Must be willing to travel if required
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States
Silver Spring, Maryland, MD
As Discovery Inc’s portfolio continues to grow – around the world and across platforms – the Global Technology & Operations team is building media technology and IT systems that meet the world class standard for which Discovery is known. GT&O builds, implements and maintains the business systems and technology that are critical for delivering Discovery’s products, while articulating the long-term technology strategy that will enable Discovery’s growing pay-TV, digital terrestrial, free-to-air and online services to reach more audiences on more platforms.
From Amsterdam to Singapore and from satellite and broadcast operations to SAP, we are driving Discovery forward on the leading edge of technology.