Technical Program Manager
Discovery CommunicationsLondon, UK
This was removed by the employer on 7/19/2021 5:32:00 AM PST
Not to worry we have a lot of other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the Post Production Category
Browse the TV Network Category
Search for Technical Program Manager jobs in London-UK
Search all Technical Program Manager postings
Are you an employer?
How do I hire a Technical Program Manager?
Full Time Job
Technical Program Manager III
Eurosport Digital is Discovery's primary drive into the Direct to Consumer business in Europe. It currently comprises two parts; Eurosport.com - the continent's number one sports news website - and Eurosport Player, a leading subscription-based OTT sports platform available across Europe.
The business is in a period of high growth, fueled by investment in rights, marketing, product and content.
As television and media habits change, our mission remains true to the principles that founded Discovery – every day we seek to ignite people's curiosity to engage, entertain and enlighten the world around them through amazing viewing experiences.
The Direct-to-Consumer Group is a technology company within the Discovery family of brands. We are building a global streaming video platform (OTT) and a suite of applications to support delivering compelling content from Discovery's library to our customers worldwide using modern container-based microservices operated on AWS. Our platform covers search, catalogue, video transcoding, personalization, global subscriptions, and much more. We build customer-focused user experiences ranging from classic lean-back viewing to interactive learning applications. We support our customers' devices, including connected TVs, web, mobile phones, tablets, and consoles. We deliver content customers love through our various Discovery-owned networks: Discovery, Food Network, Golf TV, MotorTrend, Eurosport, Discovery Play, and many more. This is a growing, global engineering group providing critical tier-1 infrastructure for delivering Discovery's promise to our customers.
We are hiring senior technical program managers to join our team. We focus on all aspects of streaming video: live and VOD pipelines, metadata transformation, server-side ad insertion, CDN integrations, playback services, video player backends, and AI/ML-based personalization. We are looking for strong technical leaders to join us who can take a leadership role in guiding the team in solving complex, challenging technical problems and delivering solutions to our customers.
The ideal candidate has a track record of having managed development of multiple high-performance, reliable, scalable systems that have been successfully shipped to customers in production. Your work and your approach to work are exemplary:
• You make other team members around you more productive by providing clarity on the what, why, who, and when.
• You are a collaborative partner who is always thinking ahead, challenging assumptions, and anticipating issues before they happen. You help teams avoid surprises.
• You show good judgement, guiding the team in making trade-offs between immediate and long-term customer and business needs.
• You drive best practices and set standards for the teams. You provide mentoring to others.
• You partner with product management and engineering across the organization to translate product requirements to functional and technical designs. You work with engineering to establish user stories, milestones, and schedules. You bring the architectural and design pattern insights of an engineer to your work, combined with a project manager's understanding of team dynamics, dependencies, and scheduling constraints.
• You partner closely with architects and principal engineers to ensure large, complex, cross-team projects have sound technical foundations and the design and implementation across teams provides for scalable, reliable, efficient systems.
• You are a champion of engineering best practices, helping to establish a culture of disciplined engineering and helping to implement mechanisms to help the team be more effective.
• At least 5 years technical program management experience in a software product development environment, including direct experience in operational cloud computing applications.
• Proven experience as a technical leader. Demonstrated ability to earn trust, influence without authority, and successfully lead the development of complex applications.
• Strong sense of responsibility and ownership for the success of projects from inception to rollout and maintenance.
• Technical fluency with multi-tenant, cloud-based platform services.
• Active commitment to a diverse and inclusive work environment.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• At least 4 years experience as a software development engineer or in a quality assurance role.
• Knowledge of video encoding and video delivery fundamentals.
• Successful working with globally dispersed teams to act as one company.