Technical Program Manager III
Discovery CommunicationsNew York, NY
Full Time Job
As television and media habits change, our mission remains true to the principles that founded Discovery – every day we seek to ignite people's curiosity to engage, entertain and enlighten the worldaround them through amazing viewing experiences.
The Direct to Consumer Group is a technology company within the Discovery brand. We are building a global streaming video platform (OTT), and a suite of applications to support all of our network's brands globally. We are building modern container-based micro-services operated on AWS. Our platform covers everything from search, catalogue, video transcoding, personalization, to global subscriptions, and really much more. We build user experiences ranging from classic lean-back viewing to interactive learning applications. We build for connected TVs, web, mobile phones, tablets, and consoles for a large footprint of Discovery owned networks (Discovery, Food Network, Golf TV, MotorTrend, Eurosport, Dplay, and many more) This is a growing, global engineering group crucial to Discovery's future.
We are seeking a Senior Technical Program Manager to join our global team. The successful candidate will have a deep technical background, exemplary communication (written and verbal) skills, strong organisational skills, and the ability to thrive with little process, direction, or oversight. This position will appeal to an individual who is excited by new product development and thrives in ambiguous, whilst seeking to shape Project Management practices which reduce ambiguity overtime.
The ideal candidate has a track record of having built multiple high-performance, stable, scalable customer facing applications (Web, IOS and Android mobile apps, Connected TV apps such as FireTV and Roku) that have been successfully shipped to customers in production. The right candidate will possess a strong technical program management background, will have demonstrated experience leading medium to large projects. You will have experience in service-oriented architecture, project management and agile development methodologies with a proven track record of delivering results. You must be able to thrive and succeed in an entrepreneurial environment and not be hindered by ambiguity or competing priorities. You are a key influencer in your team's strategy and contribute significantly to team planning. You show good judgement making trade-offs between immediate and long-term business needs. You are a collaborative partner that makes other team members around you more productive, by sharing your knowledge, and helping to tie-break key technical decisions. You provide mentoring to others.
• Strong self-starter with a proven ability to drill into business data and research results to identify clear direction and focus for your projects and programmes
• Lead planning, execution and delivery of projects across multiple teams around the world
• Leverage your deep technical expertise, strong problem-solving skills and excellent leadership skills to come up with new ways to get things done
• Communicate clearly, analyse technical designs, organise project timelines, secure commitments, manage risks, identify the critical path, spot edge cases, triage bugs, review metrics and data, and monitor launch operations for large software projects
• Switch effortlessly between the above modes, adapting yourself to the needs of your workstreams
• Anticipate bottlenecks, provide escalation management, anticipate and make trade-offs.
• Continue to move forward in the face of ambiguity and imperfect knowledge
• Have an active interest in Computer Science and showcase you are comfortable with technical details, providing regular and constructive design feedback to Engineers on their projects
• Own communication for technical delivery across these projects and programmes with senior leadership and partner organizations.
• You have shipped multiple high impact projects and programmes as well as used data to assess their impact.
• You have experience with all phases of project delivery from concept to production, including defining features and deliverables, securing team commitments, establishing a project charter, handling all communication and reporting, overseeing development and deployment, and performing retrospective assessments using data and key performance indicators.
• You have demonstrated your written communication skills can be applied to business and technical documentation, when needed for your project, and have written multiple documents in multiple formats in your past experience. Your documents are used as examples of good work for your peers to aspire to.
• You have demonstrated the capacity to make decisions for more than one project or programme area showing that your judgment is fungible, and you may be to handle more than one project simultaneously and successfully.
• You repeatedly demonstrate your ability to understand organisational and corporate goals, ensuring that projects deliver against requirements and goals
• Must have the legal right to work in the United States
• Technical background in Software Engineering or a related field, ideally with professional experience as a Software Engineer
• Experience in delivering customer facing applications on platforms such as web, Mobile ( IOS , Android), Connected TV ( Fire TV, Roku, TVOS)
• Proven analytical thinking, skills in metrics creation and project management, attention to details, and exceptional organizational skills
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Strong technical, analytical and quantitative skills with the ability to use data and metrics to back up assumptions, recommendations and drive decisions
• History of teamwork and willingness to roll up one's sleeves to get the job done.
• Experience in Media/Entertainment industry a plus