Technical Program Manager III
Discovery CommunicationsNew York, NY
Full Time Job
The Direct to Consumer Group is a technology company within the Discovery brand. We are building a global Content Management platform, and a suite of applications to support all of our network’s brands globally. We are building modern react-based applications operated on AWS. Our applications cover everything from content creation, curation, management and user friendly editorial experiences to support several D2C products and websites. We build for connected TVs, web, mobile phones, tablets, and consoles for a large footprint of Discovery owned networks (Discovery, Food Network, Golf TV, MotorTrend, Eurosport, Discovery Play, and many more) This is a growing, global engineering group crucial to Discovery’s future.
We are hiring a Technical Program Manager to join our team and lead project deliveries for the editorial tools across various D2C products like Food Network Kitchen (FNK), Magnolia, HGTV etc. You will have the opportunity to learn new platforms and technologies quickly while working in a fast-paced environment.
The ideal candidate has a track record of having built multiple high-performance, stable, scalable web applications that have been successfully shipped to production. An experience building or enhancing Content Management Platforms would be highly desirable. The right candidate will possess a strong technical program management background, and will have demonstrated experience leading medium to large projects across multiple teams. You will have experience in service-oriented architecture, project management and agile development methodologies with a proven track record of delivering results. You must be able to thrive and succeed in an entrepreneurial environment and not be hindered by ambiguity or competing priorities. You are a key influencer in your team’s strategy and contribute significantly to team planning. You show good judgement making trade-offs between immediate and long-term business needs. You are a collaborative partner that makes other team members around you more productive, by sharing your knowledge, and helping to tie-break key technical decisions. You provide mentoring to others.
• Lead planning, execution and delivery of projects across multiple teams around the world
• Leverage your deep technical expertise, strong problem-solving skills and excellent leadership skills to come up with new ways to get things done
• Research and define system integrations that will allow us to move fast and deliver with quality, balancing customer and business needs versus technical constraints
• You’re a servant leader who puts the needs of the team first and helps them self-organize, develop and perform as highly as possible.
• You will anticipate bottlenecks, provide escalation management, anticipate and make trade-offs
• Own communication for technical delivery across these projects with stakeholders, senior leadership and partner organizations
• Support the team in developing metrics and measuring their impact
• At least 5 years technical program management experience in a software product development environment
• Proven experience as a technical leader. Demonstrated ability to lead the design and development of complex applications
• Strong sense of responsibility and ownership for the success of projects from inception to rollout and maintenance.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• BS degree in computer science or a related field is required
• Must have the legal right to work in the United States
• Experience in delivering customer facing applications on platforms.
• Proven analytical thinking, skills in metrics creation and project management, attention to details, and exceptional organizational skills
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Strong technical, analytical and quantitative skills with the ability to use data and metrics to back up assumptions, recommendations and drive decisions
• History of teamwork and willingness to roll up one’s sleeves to get the job done.