Technical Program Manage4
Discovery CommunicationsBellevue, WA
Full Time Job
Technical Program Manager III
The Direct to Consumer Group is a technology company within the Discovery brand. We are building a global streaming video platform (OTT), and a suite of applications to support all our network’s brands globally. We are building modern container-based microservices operated on AWS. Our platform covers everything from search, catalogue, video transcoding, personalization, to global subscriptions, and much more. We build user experiences ranging from classic lean-back viewing to interactive learning applications. We build for connected TVs, web, mobile phones, tablets, and consoles for a large footprint of Discovery owned networks (Discovery, Food Network, Golf TV, MotorTrend, Eurosport, Discovery Play, and many more). This is a growing, global engineering group crucial to Discovery’s future.
We are hiring a senior technical program manager to join our team for the digital and direct to consumer business of Food Network Kitchen and Digital Studios portfolio of mobile apps, connected TV apps, services and websites, including Food Network, HGTV, Discovery, and Travel Channel. The ideal candidate has a track record of having built multiple high-performance, stable, scalable systems that have been successfully shipped to customers in production. Your work and your approach to work are exemplary: you drive best practices and set standards for your team. You are a key influencer in your team’s strategy and contribute significantly to team planning. You show good judgement making trade-offs between immediate and long-term business needs. You are a collaborative partner that makes other team members around you more productive, by sharing your knowledge, and helping to tie-break key technical decisions. You provide mentoring to others.
1. Proactive Problem-solving: First and foremost, you are a problem-solver. You work tirelessly to keep work streams on track, to unblock software development, and to ensure that the best possible outcome is achieved for the business. You are eager, confident, and able to use all the tools at your disposal to solve whatever problems crop up.
2. Active Learning: You are here to learn and grow. Your industry knowledge will never be complete, and you are hungry to learn more and to share what you have learned with your peers and the team(s) that you influence.
3. Computer Science Fundamentals: You understand a broad range of computer science concepts, and know how, when, and when not to use them. You can dive deep into a wide range of technical problems offering suggestions and feedback to your team. Your interest in computer science has not faded as you moved into a program management role and you are still comfortable with technical details.
4. Efficient & Effective: You are here to solve business problems and help our customers, not to prepare reports or oversee meetings. You find the most effective way to use our precious internal resources to achieve the best outcome. You find the most effective means to communicate clearly and concisely to all interested stakeholders. You are a simplifier and a productivity multiplier for others around you. Time management is a strong-suit, allowing you to successfully manage multiple projects at varying stages of their life cycle simultaneously.
5. Exemplary Communication: Your written and verbal communication skills are top notch. You can distill key points out of complex technical descriptions to share with non-technical stakeholders, adapting your
language and style of communication depending on the audience. You can clearly articulate decisions that have been made and supporting materials that back them. You are confident and capable of speaking to both the business operations or technical decisions. You communicate through data, dates, and facts using narrative and emotion judiciously. Your projects keep stakeholders aligned on what to expect and when.
6. Adaptable: You communicate clearly, analyze technical designs, organize project timelines, secure commitments, manage risks, identify the critical path, spot edge cases, triage bugs, review metrics & data, and monitor launch operations. You switch effortlessly between these modes adapting yourself to the needs of your work streams. You quickly adapt to change and lead your project teams to do the same in a fast-paced environment, always keeping stakeholders aligned on what to expect and when as these changes occur.
7. Self-starter: You are a strong self-starter and therefore have the ability to drill into business data and research results to identify clear direction and focus for your projects and programs. You continue to move forward in the face of ambiguity and imperfect knowledge. You do not suffer from “analysis paralysis.”
8. Open & Decisive: You proactively share information to teach and inform your stakeholders. You are 6. valued for the decisions that you make in pursuit of your program. You are driven by your own impact,
the positive outcomes that you drive. You share freely all that you learn so that others around you can be more effective.
9. Quick & Agile: You leverage agile tools, techniques, and principles to get value delivered quickly without being bound to a particular agile methodology or way of thinking. The concepts of working in small batches, frequent and early feedback, and celebrating quick failure are the foundation on which you organize and deliver projects.
1. Experience in project management in the technology realm.
2. Lead planning, execution and delivery of projects across multiple global teams (product and technology).
3. Communicate clearly, analyze technical designs, organize project timelines, secure commitments, manage risks, identify the critical path, spot edge cases, triage bugs, review metrics and data, and monitor launch operations for large software projects
4. Anticipate bottlenecks, provide escalation management, anticipate and make trade-offs.
5. You have a solid understanding of software development methods like CI/CD, Agile Scrum, Waterfall, etc.
6. You have shipped multiple high impact projects and used data to assess their impact.
7. You have experience with all phases of project delivery from concept to production, including defining features and deliverables, securing team commitments, establishing a project charter, handling all communication and reporting, overseeing development & deployment, and performing retrospective assessment using data and key performance indicators.
8. You have demonstrated the ability to make decisions for more than one project or program area showing that your judgment is fungible, and you must be able to handle more than one project simultaneously and successfully.
9. You have repeatedly demonstrated the ability to understand organizational and corporate goals and ensured that your projects delivered what was required to hit these goals.
10. You must have experience with JIRA, Confluence, Smartsheet and Google or Microsoft Suite of products.
11. Project management or agile certification such as PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM is a plus
12. Must have the legal right to work in the country hired.