Discovery CommunicationsSilver Spring, CA
Full Time Job
Ideally, candidates for this position will be located in or willing to relocate to Silver Spring, Maryland, however candidates in New York City or Los Angeles, California may also be considered.
The Senior Vice President of Research will plan and direct all primary and secondary research related to the development, production, marketing and distribution of all linear and non-linear/multi-platform content. Additionally, this position will develop and lead strategic research and insights to guide and manage the Network Brand positioning and corresponding content pipeline “filter,” thereby aligning the Network’s content with the goals of the organization.
The position will also play a key role on the Network Leadership team, as well as with other Research team leaders across the Discovery portfolio of Networks. The SVP will be responsible for helping the organization to manage through the complex changes and disruption in the media industry in order to improve the Network’s competitive position and profitability.
1. Participate as a member of the President & General Manager’s senior management team and provide input into setting direction and strategy for the business.
2. Demonstrate excellence as a highly skilled presenter with “executive presence.” Must be capable of articulating and presenting TLC’s research and strategy to the company’s CEO, senior leadership and Board of Directors.
3. Act as a strategic advisor to network management team, effectively voicing fact-based insights and recommendations on issues relating to business goals and strategies, as well as the health of the TLC brand
4. Serve as key team member during annual business planning and long-range planning processes. Provide regular updates to staff regarding comparisons of actuals to business plans on ratings and other metrics.
5. Develop and present strategic, long-range research regarding the competitive landscape and the evolution of the media industry; provide practical, business-oriented and actionable findings.
6. Act as a key member of the Senior Research Team to provide Research leadership across the Discovery portfolio of Networks; help guide the Company on appropriate measurement, data systems and capabilities to successfully navigate through the disruptive changes in the industry.
7. Provide strong leadership and development to the TLC research team.
8. Oversee all stages of primary research including design, fieldwork, analysis and interpretation of research studies including program tests, as well as other qualitative and quantitative studies.
9. Lead team in performing interpretive analyses to transform data into valuable information. Develop and implement new ways to display data in a manner that is more visual and easier to understand. Communicate findings through written and stand-up presentations.
10. Utilize primary research, Nielsen ratings data, and other consumer databases to develop and guide production, development, programming/content, scheduling, marketing and communications strategies.
11. Collaborate with Ad Sales Research and Estimates counterparts to ensure that Network strategies are clearly understood and reflected in estimates and sales-related activities.
12. Liaise with DNI research team in the sharing of research conducted by US research team and DNI research team to achieve thoughtful decisions related to globally commissioned programs and new media products and services rolled out on a global basis.
13. Research and help predict upcoming genre trends/fads/what's hot in support of timely development and production in developing areas.
14. Manage, develop and support assigned staff.
* 10 to 12 years of experience in the field.
* Must demonstrate a thorough knowledge of Nielsen data and systems.
* Excellent analytical and mathematical abilities and knowledge of basic statistics required.
* Demonstrate expertise in a variety of qualitative and quantitative fields, concepts, practices, and procedures. Able to demonstrate extensive knowledge of commissioning and managing primary qualitative and quantitative research projects.
* Demonstrate ability to synthesize research findings to “tell a story” with action-oriented implications is critical.
* Computer proficiency mandatory including in-depth knowledge of spreadsheet and graphics packages (preferably Excel and PowerPoint)
* Ability to work in a fast-paced high-pressure environment without sacrificing accuracy and attention to detail; strong project management skills are essential.
* Excellent communication skills both oral and written a must; strong executive presence required.
* Proven ability to work in a matrix organization, managing multiple projects across a diverse client group and partnerships with other divisions of the company around the world.
* Strong people management skills; ability to strategically lead and manage a team of research experts and related support staff.
* Positive “can-do” attitude.
* Candidate will also possess high level of maturity and professionalism and must demonstrate ability to function in a team environment.
* Bachelor’s degree in a related field of study, master’s degree preferred.
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States.
Silver Spring, Maryland, MD, New York City, New York, NYC, NY