SVP Production & Development
Discovery CommunicationsKnoxville, TN
Full Time Job
The SVP-Production & Development role will be a key creative force for the joint venture with Chip and Joanna, leveraging a highly talented programming team to develop and oversee hit series for the Network.
This position will play a critical leadership role in production initiatives. The position will require communication and coordination with independent producers and production companies outside of Discovery, as well with other internal departments. The ideal candidate will be located in Knoxville, TN but will also consider New York, Austin or Waco, TX.
1. Create and conceptualize series, specials, stunts, franchises, properties, and other programming initiatives for the Network with a keen focus on developing internal ideas and identifying and fostering new on-camera talent.
2. Oversee current series and pilots for the Network.
3. Review scripts, treatments, and materials submitted from external vendors and work with production team to provide timely feedback as assigned.
4. Identify trends, formats and new producers for development.
5. Develop new relationships and maintain existing relationships with agents, producers, and writers for all genres.
6. Oversee all aspects of editorial management of multiple outside production companies on multiple series and specials simultaneously, and in coordination with DCI internal departments to ensure timely, effective and on-budget development, production and delivery of original commissions. Adhere to and maintain accountability for all aspects of DCI's editorial, budgetary and production standards, as well as contractual and deliverables requirements for DCI programming. Review, edit, and approve preliminary and final treatments, outlines, shooting scripts, scripts, production schedules, budgets, selects, graphics, music, rough cuts, fine cuts, final narration and final versions of all assigned programs.
7. Clearly communicate the Network’s editorial requirements and standards of quality to outside production companies throughout development and production.
8. Represent the Network to outside organizations and maintain partnerships both internal and external. Manage daily work, career growth, training and development of staff.
* At least 15 years senior-level, creative programming experience in a major commercial television environment.
* At least 5 years of specific network/cable buying experience.
* Extensive relationships with top level producers and agents.
* Strong development and show creation track record.
* Strong leadership and motivational skills, with demonstrated ability to work with little supervision and under pressure to meet tight deadlines within budgetary constraints.
* Superb written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
* Ability to consistently generate and execute new ideas.
* Ability to work simultaneously on multiple projects in varying stages.
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States.
* Outstanding strategic business, interpersonal, project management, and leadership skills.
* Trouble-shooter. Strategic visionary.
Waco, Texas, TX, Austin