SVP, Originals - Dtc
Discovery CommunicationsLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
At Discovery, our mission is to serve passionate fans with products, platforms and experiences that inspire, inform and entertain through industry leading content and deeply trusted & beloved brands. We’re looking for leaders, innovators and creative problem solvers who are passionate about their work, and are driven to engage, entertain and delight the millions of users who visit our digital properties every day. If you want to work on the future of media alongside amazingly talented colleagues, then this is the place for you.
The SVP Original Series will serve as a key member of Discovery’s Content Team, driving strategic and editorial vision for original programming for Discovery’s upcoming direct-to-consumer product with a focus on Lifestyle content, reporting to the Group SVP Content & Commercial Strategy. The right person for this role has a background at a streaming service, is nimble, adaptable, proactive, and is as good at plate-spinning and project management as at driving high quality creative execution.
1. Oversee selection, development and production of original programming for Lifestyle focused content; collaborating with the development and production teams from across the domestic and international networks.
2. Collaborate with Development team on sourcing pitches, talent, and self-generated ideation of commissions
3. Supervise multiple outside production companies on multiple series simultaneously and in coordination with internal departments to ensure high quality, timely and on-budget development, production and delivery of commissions, co-productions, and development projects.
4. Inform and involve key departments including business affairs & legal, finance, production management, marketing / PR, et al on projects throughout all stages of the pipeline to ensure smooth execution and to maximize their value to the company.
5. Collaborate with the Group SVP Content to design and implement processes for smooth collaboration across Factual, Lifestyle, JV, and International network groups. Establish and maintain procedures for in-house production or as needed for DTC content
6. Lead streaming-specific operationalization of original series, including working with content operations for on-site show assets, merchandising for on-channel marketing,data science / product / tech on content discovery optimizations, interpret user behavioral data to make data-informed content decisions
7. Perform in a leadership role and manage members of the DTC Originals team
8. Represent DISCOVERY at key programming markets, conventions and other functions as designated.
* Must have 2 years work experience at a streaming platform.
* Bachelor’s degree in related field or an equivalent combination of skills, training and hands-on experience.
* Minimum of 10 years hands-on production & development experience in non-fictional genres, & general entertainment.
* Proven record of demonstrated creativity with an ability to generate new ideas and translate them into high-quality TV programs.
* An independent thinker and idea-generator who is also a team player.
* Proficiency in TV production economics and management.
* Ability to manage outside producers, build credibility and strong working relationships with other internal executives and generate commitment to goals.
* Knowledge of all aspects of contemporary production and post-production capabilities.
* Outstanding editorial judgment and creative abilities, strong verbal and written communications skills, and demonstrated leadership skills.
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States.