SVP - Content Strategy & Development
Discovery CommunicationsNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Fans of non-fiction content are explorers by nature, constantly seeking to see, know and experience more of the world around them. Until now, they’ve had to search across a variety of sources to find stories that fuel and expand their interests.
Discovery is looking for a Head of Content Strategy to lead our new Direct-to-Consumer digital product, with a passion and track record of bringing these genres to life in a relevant and topical way. This is an outstanding opportunity for an individual looking to take this content to the non-linear world in an innovative and groundbreaking way.
The Head of Content Strategy will play a critical role in the development and launch of this global factual Direct to Consumer service. Responsible for setting editorial direction and content strategies. This leader will ensure the service develops a unique identity in the marketplace and meets user engagement goals.
Reporting to the President/GM, this position will work with Discovery and third-party production partners on commissions, acquisitions and repacks, managing programming budgets. The Head of Content Strategy will oversee the full content lifecycle, from concept ideation to the merchandising of programming on the service, collaborating with the networks, global talent, business affairs, technology, product management and other corporate teams.
Oversee the full content lifecycle, from concept ideation to the merchandising of programming on the service, collaborating with the technology and product management teams.
• Create and conceptualize programming strategy including:
• Daily publishing strategy
• Mid-form strategy, working with Digital Studios, network development teams, and outside partners
• Long-form development strategy in partnership with the network (small development budget)
• Evaluate 3rd party content license deals and opportunities
• Podcast strategy
• A/R strategy
• Identify and evaluate programming from Discovery and BBC library and current network pipeline for fit with direct-to-consumer platform
• Work with BLA and Global Rights teams to ensure appropriate rights are cleared
• Develop and execute strategy for engaging experts, influencers, and celebrities with passion and expertise in natural history, science
• Identify and evaluate programming from Discovery and BBC library and current network pipeline for fit with direct-to-consumer platform. Work with BLA and Global Rights teams to ensure appropriate rights are cleared
• Review scripts, treatments, and materials submitted from Digital Studios and external vendors and provide timely feedback.
• Develop new relationships and maintain existing relationships with licensing partners, producers, and talent.
• Align multiple internal departments to ensure timely, effective and on-budget development, production and delivery of original commissions. Adhere to and maintain accountability for all aspects of DCI's editorial, budgetary and production standards, as well as contractual and deliverables requirements.
• Clearly communicate editorial requirements and standards of quality to outside production companies throughout development and production.
• Work in close partnership with networks teams to understand their content strategies and partner
• Manage and support the development of content team.
• At least 10 years of programming and development experience in factual/natural history television and digital media environment.
• Strong relationships with production companies
• Experience in startup or launch of network preferred.
• International media experience preferred.
• Strong leadership and motivational skills, with demonstrated ability to work with little supervision and under pressure to meet tight deadlines within budgetary constraints.
• Outstanding strategic business, interpersonal, project management, and leadership skills.
• Ability to consistently generate and execute new ideas.
• Ability to work simultaneously on multiple projects in varying stages.
• Must have the legal right to work in the United States.