Summer Paid Intern - Technical Product Management
Discovery CommunicationsKnoxville, TN
Full Time Paid Internship
About the organization:
Discovery Direct-to-Consumer is the technology arm of Discovery Inc.
We work at the crossroads of technology, entertainment, and everyday utility, continuously leveraging technology to create immersive viewing and interactive experiences. We are building a global streaming video platform and a suite of applications to support all our global Discovery owned brands. These include DiscoveryGo, Food Network Plus, GolfTV, MotorTrend on Demand, Eurosport Player, Discovery plus, and many more. We build experiences ranging from traditional video streaming, to highly interactive and immersive applications. We build across connected TV, web, mobile and consoles and are fast, nimble and have fun building world-class products for our iconic brands.
About the team:
You’ll join the TPM team.
We’re a team of technical product and program managers.
The smartest engineering team in the world will be unable to do their jobs effectively, if first we don’t clearly define what we’re trying to build, but first (and more importantly) we need to understand why you’re building it. That’s what our team does, we provide the “why” and the “what”, while engineering figures out the “how”.
We are defining the next generation of video delivery at Discovery. This team designs and delivers the end-to-end platform that pushes live and on-demand content all the way out to the device you’re reading these words on. We create and prioritize the product roadmaps for the ad tech, video delivery, and video player services that all Discovery brands use.
We’re a completely flat org, and the technical product managers own their areas directly.
Why Intern at Discovery:
You’ll be joining Discovery’s award-winning internship program, where in addition to the unique and exciting projects detailed above, you’ll develop both the technical and non-technical skills you’ll need in order to have a competitive advantage.
Key Features of the Program:
• 1:1 Mentorship: you’ll be assigned a mentor for the duration of the program to ensure you get off to a flying start and continue to meet your development goals throughout.
• Tech Speaker Series: you’ll frequently learn about new technologies and trends and meet and learn from some of the most talented technologists in the industry, both internal and external to Discovery.
• Career Coaching: you’ll receive tailored career advice and guidance from experienced data experts, and leaders who have been where you are, and will share how they have successfully navigated their careers.
• Global Exposure: Most of our teams and products have global impact, meaning often our interns are working on projects that impact multiple markets. This provides you with unique insight into solving problems at scale, the nuances between markets and how we leverage technology to provide seamless and consistent quality across our customer experience globally.
• Global Network: By the end of the program you’ll have built a global network of talented Engineers, Product Managers, Data Scientists and Analysts, Product Designer, Marketeers and business leaders. You’ll also have an extensive network for peers with whom you will have built great relationships! It’s a small industry and the network you build and the impression you make during the program will be invaluable throughout your career.
• Long-term Career Prospects: While this is a summer internship, we see this as the start of a long-term relationship. Many of our current employees are prior interns and for developers early in their career Discovery DTC offers unparalleled opportunities. From working on unique and exciting projects, to having global impact and gaining international experience. We’ve also built a fantastic culture, that is truly diverse and inclusive, reflected in creativity and innovation across our products and features. And of course, you’ll work with our talented team; our engineers are among the best in the industry and are excited to mentor and develop the next generation of tech talent!
What you need to know about the DTC Summer 2022 Program Application Process:
• Our Summer 2022 internship program is 12 weeks long, commencing June 1st - August 19th.
• Our internships are paid opportunities. Credit is not required; however, we will provide documentation if necessary.
• The?application deadline is November 26th.? After this date, we cannot guarantee your application will be reviewed for the position.
• We do not require a cover letter. Please demonstrate your passion for the position through your resume.
We are interviewing through Fall 2021. A Discovery Intern team member will contact you if your experiences and interests match an open internship position. Due to the high volume of applications, we are unable to give individual status updates.
About the projects you may work on:
In general, we have more interesting work than we have people, which means you’ll be working on the same exciting products as the more experienced members of the team. Three months is a lifetime in Cloud software, that’s plenty of time to conceive, design, prototype, and ship a substantial feature.
We’ve recently launched MotorTrend On Demand, Discovery Plus India, and a new set of channels in Sweden and Finland for DPlay. Basically, when you watch a video on any Discovery site, there’s a good chance it’s gone through systems that my team has worked on.
Right now our hot areas are around intuitive console UIs, smarter encoding, global metadata, next gen technologies to enable non-intrusive advertising, and building the fastest video player in the world.
We’re excited to have you join the team because good technical product managers are a rare breed, so the chance to have you join the team at the start of your career is exciting.
In addition to academic qualifications, we’re looking for interns who are always curious and have a desire to learn. You’ll need to have great attention to detail, but with a great sense of agility and scope. An eagerness to roll up your sleeves and build something great.
* Must be currently enrolled as a student (proof of enrollment will be required if selected for an internship).
* Must be a rising Junior, Senior, or Graduate student.
* Must have at least a 3.0 GPA.
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States.