Summer Paid Intern - Product Management
Discovery CommunicationsKnoxville, TN
Full Time Paid Internship
About the organization:
Discovery Direct-to-Consumer is the technology arm of Discovery Inc.
We work at the crossroads of technology, entertainment, and everyday utility, continuously leveraging technology to create immersive viewing and interactive experiences. We are building a global streaming video platform and a suite of applications to support all our global Discovery owned brands. These include DiscoveryGo, Food Network Plus, GolfTV, MotorTrend on Demand, Eurosport Player, Discovery plus, and many more. We build experiences ranging from traditional video streaming, to highly interactive and immersive applications. We build across connected TV, web, mobile and consoles and are fast, nimble and have fun building world-class products for our iconic brands.
About the team:
The product management team for lifestyle creates and builds products for customers in the Food / Lifestyle categories, including the award-winning Food Network Kitchen product, as well as our Digital Studios web offering. We identify customer needs and create solutions for them. The team also drives product strategy and roadmap for editorial & services platforms across a range of DTC products.
Some of our projects include launching and managing Food Network Kitchen across platforms, as well as managing the Digital Studios websites, including FoodNetwork.com, HGTV.com. Some emerging platform launches include Food Network and HGTV on Messenger and Alexa.
Why Intern at Discovery:
In addition to building great products and creating some of the best content in the world, we’ve built a great team and culture! Our program offers unique experiences, with tremendous opportunities for growth. Everyone is passionate about the work we do, and it’s energizing to work on something you authentically care about. Our Product Managers are some of the most talented in the industry and are excited to mentor and learn from our interns. You’ll have the opportunity to help deliver customer facing, impactful projects and test your theories on the newest technologies and methodologies, while learning from the seasoned pros.
Key Features of the Program:
• 1:1 Mentorship: you’ll be assigned a mentor for the duration of the program to ensure you get off to a flying start and continue to meet your development goals throughout.
• Tech Speaker Series: you’ll frequently learn about new technologies and trends and meet and learn from some of the most talented technologists in the industry, both internal and external to Discovery.
• Career Coaching: you’ll receive tailored career advice and guidance from experienced data experts, and leaders who have been where you are, and will share how they have successfully navigated their careers.
• Global Exposure: Most of our teams and products have global impact, meaning often our interns are working on projects that impact multiple markets. This provides you with unique insight into solving problems at scale, the nuances between markets and how we leverage technology to provide seamless and consistent quality across our customer experience globally.
• Global Network: By the end of the program you’ll have built a global network of talented Engineers, Product Managers, Data Scientists and Analysts, Product Designer, Marketeers and business leaders. You’ll also have an extensive network for peers with whom you will have built great relationships! It’s a small industry and the network you build and the impression you make during the program will be invaluable throughout your career.
• Long-term Career Prospects: While this is a summer internship, we see this as the start of a long-term relationship. Many of our current employees are prior interns and for developers early in their career Discovery DTC offers unparalleled opportunities. From working on unique and exciting projects, to having global impact and gaining international experience. We’ve also built a fantastic culture, that is truly diverse and inclusive, reflected in creativity and innovation across our products and features. And of course, you’ll work with our talented team; our engineers are among the best in the industry and are excited to mentor and develop the next generation of tech talent!
What you need to know about the DTC Summer 2022 Program Application Process:
• Our Summer 2022 internship program is 12 weeks long, commencing June 1st - August 19th.
• Our internships are paid opportunities. Credit is not required; however, we will provide documentation if necessary.
• The?application deadline is November 26th.? After this date, we cannot guarantee your application will be reviewed for the position.
• We do not require a cover letter. Please demonstrate your passion for the position through your resume.
We are interviewing through Fall 2021. A Discovery Intern team member will contact you if your experiences and interests match an open internship position. Due to the high volume of applications, we are unable to give individual status updates.
About the projects you may work on:
As an intern you’ll work on the same products and features as the wider PM team (detailed above). We want interns to deeply understand the functions of product management and product design at the end of their internship by giving them an end to end view of the function by providing them hands-on experience learning. PM interns will participate in all aspects of product discovery, delivery, and assessing outcomes. We will coach PM interns on participating and conducting user research, understanding customer behavior through quantitative and qualitative analysis, evaluating opportunities using a series of inputs, frameworks for prioritization, and how to partner effectively with design and engineering to creating a solutions with a customer first mindset. PM interns will learn best practices of GTM planning, as well measuring and assessing outcomes.
In addition to academic qualifications, we look to hire curious minds, who are hungry to learn and passionate about solving customer problems. We live in a rapidly growing and evolving environment and look for team members who embrace change and thrive in a fast-paced environment. And while we work hard, we support each other, believe in team success, have fun and celebrate success. Don’t be surprise if see celebrity guests like Boris Becker and Oprah Winfrey in the company Town Hall meeting.
* Must be currently enrolled as a student (proof of enrollment will be required if selected for an internship)
* Must be a rising Junior, Senior, or Graduate student
* Must have at least a 3.0 GPA
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States.