Sr Software Engineer
Discovery CommunicationsNew York, NY
Full Time Job
We are a small, but mighty team, working at the cross roads of technology and entertainment to bring content from iconic television brands to our audiences over the Internet in the most entertaining ways we can imagine and build. As television changes, our mission remains true to the principles that founded Discovery – every day we seek to ignite people’s curiosity to engage, entertain and enlighten the world around them through amazing viewing experiences.
Discovery Digital Media is looking for a senior software engineer to build rich user across Web, Android, iOS, FireTV, tvOS, Roku and future platforms. Background in design and a firm understanding of how to profile animation to reduce and avoid jank is crucial to the success of this role.
We deploy applications for each of our network brands: Discovery, TLC, Velocity, Science Chanel, Investigation Discovery, Animal Planet, American Heroes Channel, Destination America, Discovery Life, Discovery Familia and Discovery en Español.
Our client technology stack includes ReactJS and React Native. We love working with modern tools and sharing our experiences with the community.
This is a fantastic opportunity to help solve complex but interesting scalability, performance and availability problems for products consumed by millions of users each day! You will have the opportunity to work with a suite of great technologies and in a highly collaborative environment where the engineers get together on a quarterly basis in NY to problem solve major business challenges.
1. Write clean, concise, readable code that follows common design patterns and principles.
2. Complete work with a conscientious attitude and good follow-through.
3. Collaborate with coworkers from design, engineering, product, project, QA and content teams.
4. Translate functional requirements into solutions that work well with current architecture.
5. Preform peer code reviews.
6. Own feature specific development verticals - e.g. UI components
7. Utilize multi-tasking and context shifting skills.
8. Identify inefficiencies and make recommendations.
9. Stay informed with changes in technology.
10. Produce comprehensive, usable software documentation.
* 4 years of professional experience developing custom UI components.
* Commanding knowledge of UI component lifecycles, rendering and performance in at least one of our target platforms
* Strong oral and written communication skills.
* You are comfortable with collaborating using Git.
* Ability to provide code samples either privately or through a Github repo.
* Skills with optimizing rendering performance using profiling and debugging tools.
* Must have legal right to work in the United States.
Experience with any of the following would be considered a plus…
* ReactJS or React Native application development
* Connected device development like Roku, Xbox, FireTV or Smart TVs
New York City, New York, NYC, NY