Sr. Product Manager
Discovery CommunicationsBellevue, WA
Full Time Job
Discovery is looking for a Senior Manager, Product Design, for the Digital and Direct-to-Consumer business for Magnolia, a joint venture partnership between Discovery, Inc. and Chip and Joanna Gaines. In this role you’ll help create delightful, cross-platform experiences to improve the lives of Magnolia fans. Under the direction of the VP of Product Design, this role will lead projects across the entire product lifecycle and multiple product launches. You’ll inspire members of your team and colleagues to develop award-winning products, interfaces and experiences.
• Understand the Magnolia fans and their values deeply; always fiercely advocate from their perspective.
• Lead/Manage large-scale, high-priority projects from concept to launch, and continue to iterate as needed
• Manage the day-to-day work streams on multiple projects
• Think systematically; streamline interaction patterns across the product yet optimize for each platform.
• Identify/pursue new targets and opportunities that will advance organizational business goals.
• Identify gaps and anticipate risks; take action to address design risks & determine solutions.
• Tracks team design progress, manages resource allocation and escalates issues and risks.
• Lead team through multi-platform design challenges/obstacles via positive creative solutions.
• Inspire/mentor others on design teams and other creative teams within the organization
• You have at least 5 years of experience as a Design Manager within a large-scale consumer facing organization, agency or multi-platform initiative
• You are fluent in best practices for cross-platform design, as well as usability principles and techniques.
• Experience managing high performance teams of 3 or more designers across internal and external teams
• You are able to communicate complex, interactive design concepts clearly and persuasively across different audiences.
• You have deep empathy for customers and other humans.
• You see the big picture, yet have great attention to detail.
• You’ve shipped many consumer products over the years, with a strong portfolio that demonstrates your digital product and interaction work.
• You have experience working with a cross-functional team across product, engineering, business and marketing to solve difficult problems and deliver compelling products.
• You have a people-focused design mentality. You are constantly looking to hone your design instinct through user feedback. Whether through hands-on user research, or by designing options for an A/B test.
• You have a proactive attitude and strong time management skills. You share suggestions and take initiative for what needs to be done, rather than wait for detailed instructions.
• You’re comfortable working in a fast-changing environment where continuous innovation is valued.
Discovery, Inc. is the global leader in real life entertainment. We serve passionate fans with content that inspires, informs, and entertains, providing leadership across deeply loved and trusted brands, such as Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, HGTV, Food Network, and Travel Channel. Available in 220 countries and territories and 50 languages, Discovery reaches viewers on all screens and services, from free-to-air and pay-TV channels, to digital products and streaming services, to social and mobile-first content and formats. Discovery delivers over 8,000 hours of original programming each year.
Discovery's Digital group is a well-funded start-up within Discovery Inc. We are fast, nimble, and have fun developing new, innovative, and immersive digital products and content for iconic brands. We are working at the crossroads of technology, entertainment, and everyday utility. As content creators across the digital ecosystem, we continuously leverage our technology to create immersive viewing and interactive experiences. We tell engaging stories to millions of viewers across the Internet every day and bring new interactive experiences to life to not only entertain but improve the lives of our customers.