Sr. Product Designer
Discovery CommunicationsNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Discovery's Digital group is a well-funded start-up within Discovery, Inc. We are fast, nimble, and have fun developing new, innovative, and immersive digital products and content for iconic brands. We are working at the crossroads of technology, entertainment, and every day utility. As content creators across the digital ecosystem, we continuously leverage our technology to create immersive viewing and interactive experiences. We tell engaging stories to millions of viewers across the Internet every day and bring new interactive experiences to life to not only entertain but improve the lives of our customers. Most recently, our group is behind the launch of discovery , Discovery’s global streaming service, serving as the definitive destination for real life entertainment with the largest ever content offering at launch, debuting in the U.S. on January 4, 2021.
As Sr. Product Designer, you help to shape the design vision and strategy while driving the execution of our customer facing products that engage, delight and resonate with fans of Discovery, HGTV, Food Network, Travel Channel, Science, ID, OWN and more. You will thrive in a customer focused, customer obsessed environment using research & data to design experiences people love.
At Discovery, we’re looking for leaders, innovators and creative problem solvers who are passionate about their work, and are driven to engage, entertain and delight the millions of users who visit our digital properties every day. If you want to work on the future of media alongside amazingly talented colleagues, then this is the place for you.
This role is a Full Time Staff Position that will work on-site in our offices at New York, NY and/or Los Angeles, CA.
1. Provide hands-on Product Design; establish design direction/concepts and deliverables.
2. Demonstrate proven experience with successful multi-platform designs and project delivery.
3. Define product vision and user flows that inspire development of the right product experience.
4. Lead & Manage large-scale, high-priority apps, connected devices and product experiences.
5. Partner to define product requirements process with Business, Product, and Engineering.
6. Define, Lead, Manage & Facilitate Design Thinking Practices for your Product Lines/Team.
7. Present concepts, strategies and goals effectively to Mid & Senior Level Executives.
8. Work closely with Product, Engineering, Data, Business and Marketing to deliver industry-leading product experiences across Discovery’s products, platforms, services and channels.
9. Plan and oversee testing criteria for usability studies, A/B and Multivariate testing of products and platforms as part of the design process.
10. Identify gaps and anticipate risks; take actions to address design risks & determine solutions.
11. Tracks Design Team progress, manages resource allocation and escalates issues and risks.
12. Identify/pursue new targets and opportunities that will advance organizational business goals.
13. Develop and maintain all Design Language libraries, personas, mockups, usage scenarios, user flows, prototypes, navigational maps and experience documentation.
14. Inspire new ideas through expert-level knowledge of competitive and complimentary products.
* 5 years of experience as Sr. Designer, UX Designer or Product Designer within a large-scale consumer facing organization, agency or multi-platform product company.
* 3 years’ experience designing multi-platform apps and connected product experiences.
* BA Degree or higher in Product Design, Interactive Design, User Centric Design, HCI or Cognitive Psychology (OR) combined work experience with human factors training.
* Experience designing 10ft, VUI, Connected and Multi-Modal Product Design Systems required.
* Deep knowledge and experience in Mobile, Living Room & Connected Product Environments
* Expertise in Sketch, InVision Tools, Adobe Suite and rapid prototyping are required.
* Working experience with Principal, Story, and Atomic Design methods are important.
* Knowledge of emerging trends for digital products and cross-platform customer integrations.
* Experience working in Agile and Matrixed organizations.
* Hands on experience with variety of user research techniques including user testing, personas, user tasks and scenarios, internal and external user interviews.
* Education in Interaction Design, HCI, UX Architecture, and/or Product Design required.
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States
*** Online portfolio demonstrating broad skills, versatile aesthetic, high-end customer facing experiences, with expertise in design principles, thinking and usability. Please provide a link and any appropriate PDF materials to view your digital samples.
* Hands on team player that can work easily with multiple stakeholders including Design, Product, Engineering, Data & Research, Project Management, Marketing, Business and Sales.
* Experience working in a fast-paced environment with multiple projects and deadlines.
* Capable of leading Design Thinking & Design Sprint sessions to ensure that customer centered with clear vision is implemented through Design Thinking Best Practices.
* Proven track record with a variety of successful products delivered across multiple platforms, screens and ecosystems with experience in multiple brands, productions and operations.
* Passionate self-starter with high-level of initiative, strong sense of ownership and a disciplined approach to quality and its affect on the intended audience.
* Excellent oral and written skills, and able to present to small or large groups of people including Design, Marketing, Production, Product Teams, and Executive Stakeholders.
* Uncanny drive and passion to deliver the best experience for consumers and proven track record to deliver compelling, innovative and award-winning user and product experiences.
* High confidence working on complex multi-platform consumer focused product ecosystems.