Sr Product Designer
Discovery CommunicationsNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Discovery Digital Studios is in the process of revitalizing and enhancing its products across our Food Network and HGTV brands. Our aim is to translate the strategic vision of our lifestyle brands into delightful and engaging consumer experiences across web, mobile, video and emerging spaces.
As a Senior Product Designer you will lead design projects across the entire product lifecycle and multiple product launches. You will set the vision and tone for the consumer experience and create the space for others to collaborate. You have a natural, deep aesthetic sensibility and a perpetual curiosity for new and emerging approaches to human centered design. You are a conscientious, curious, hard-working individual who craves accountability and loves to solve complex problems.
1. Collaborate with other teams (Product, Editorial, Marketing, Engineering, etc.) to create innovative, world-class digital products that customers can’t live without.
2. Create beautifully designed experiences that visually delight, applying and evolving an established visual brand system.
3. Design flows and experiences that are incredibly simple and elegant across various platforms (web, mobile apps, connected TV, voice).
4. Promote good information architecture, understand and solve for the nuances of content, interface design patterns, and visual systems.
5. Rapidly produce multiple concepts and prototypes; knowing when to apply pixel-perfect attention to detail, and when to make low-fi sketches and prototypes.
6. Think at a high level about creative strategy and vision. Not just how it should look, but what should be built.
7. Partner with product managers, engineers, researchers, editorial and content teams to oversee the experience of a product from concept until launch.
8. Be autonomous. You crave accountability, and you take responsibility for every last detail, every step of the way.
* You have at least 5 years of experience designing at consumer-focused tech or media companies; designing across platforms (web, mobile apps, connected tv, voice platforms).
* You have great attention to detail and impeccable aesthetic taste, with an expertise in color, typography, layout composition, and current visual design trends
* You’ve shipped many consumer products over the years, with a killer portfolio that demonstrates your digital product and interaction work.
* Your process includes sketching concepts, tweaking flows or polishing the designs that represent the big-thinking work.
* You’re a great communicator and collaborator. You also have the ability to mentor others to deliver work, and make strategy come to life.
* You have a people-focused design mentality. You are constantly looking to hone your design instinct through user feedback. Whether through hands-on user research, or by designing options for an A/B test.
* You have a proactive attitude and strong time management skills. You share suggestions and take initiative for what needs to be done, rather than wait for detailed instructions.
* Ability to work under pressure on multiple projects simultaneously while meeting deadlines with frequent interruptions and redefined priorities
* Must love food, cooking, lifestyle, culture
* Must have an online portfolio
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States
Bonus points if you have…
* Design Thinking experience
* UX/Interaction experience
* Connected TV experience
* Managerial experience
* CSS, front-end styling knowledge
new york city, new york, nyc, ny